Friday, June 24, 2011

Chick Flick

[Sorry, fighting the usual technical difficulties while uploading a video...]


If you aren't totally sick of my pictures of our adorable chicks, I have a chick flick to share!

Today I went out to sit with our babies for awhile (yes, I was taking more pictures), when our most assertive chick, Priscilla (aka Miss Prissy), hopped up on my foot. I had been drumming my fingers on my knee and the movement had caught her eye.  I could see she badly wanted to get up to my knee and investigate, and I suspected she might do something desperate, so I turned on the camera and caught something none of the chicks had ever done before!

Besides Miss Prissy's new behavior, we also celebrate another milestone today.  Our chicks were hatched on May 24th, which means today they are one month old!  That's a big deal for me.  Having never raised any type of farm animal before, I honestly expected we'd lose 3 or 4 of our chicks in their first few weeks.  However, we still have the full dozen, and each one is strong and healthy.

And for those of you who might be wondering, yes, I have named the final 4 Easter Eggers.  Now I wonder why I ever thought they were hard to tell apart!  Here they are:

Lucille, or Lucy for short.  Isn't Lucy everybody's favorite redhead?

Kate, another redhead, but with fancier feathers.

Nadia, after the gymnast.  Our bird likes to use the feeder bar as a balance beam!

Maybelline, after the mascara.  One look at her eye markings and you'll understand why!

I really never imagined that chickens could be so entertaining, but we are having a lot of fun with our young ladies!

No comments: