Saturday, April 30, 2016

Mountain Skies

A rainbow viewed through raindrops on my car's window last night.
29 April 2016

One of the coolest things about living in the White Mountains is the wide variety of sky-scapes we get to enjoy throughout our four seasons. I always grab my camera to try and capture the beauty stretched out above my head, but photos never really do justice to the magnificence dazzling my eyes. Still, I keep trying!

Yesterday, Mark and I drove to the Safeway in Show Low to cash his paycheck. During the drive there, a drizzle of rain began to fall. By the time we parked at Safeway, it was coming down pretty good. As I turned to my left to open the car door, a really bright rainbow caught my eye. Of course I had to grab my camera! 

A double rainbow!

I wasn't the only one. As I paused at the store's entrance to capture the double rainbow in the second photo, I noticed several customers coming out of the store, pushing aside their carts, and taking pictures with their cell phones. One woman pointed up and told her toddler daughter, "See the pretty rainbow?"

The rainbow filled the sky from end to end. Only the pot of gold was missing!

By the time we exited the store about fifteen minutes later, the entire rainbow was clearly visible from end to end. Unfortunately, my cell phone camera doesn't have a wide enough angle to get the entire rainbow in one shot, so I did the next best thing and took the two shots above. Seen in real life, the rainbow was unbelievably magical!

Full moon from my front yard.
April 22, 2016

A week ago, I came out of my house and saw the most magnificent full moon lighting up the surrounding clouds in the dark sky. Mark and I were on our way somewhere, but I told him to hang on while I quickly ran back inside to get my actual camera. As nice as my camera is, it doesn't usually take great night pictures, so I didn't expect too much. However, I walked out into my front yard, rested my elbows on the chain link fence, and did my best. To my surprise, a few of the photos came out nicely, like the one above. In fact, I'm thinking it could be an excellent cover for my upcoming novel, Darkling Moon...

Sunset from Walmart parking lot.
March 11, 2016

Finally, back in March, my eyes were greeted with this beautifully pink-and-blue sunset as I walked out of Walmart one evening. Cue the camera...

No comments: