Tuesday, March 17, 2009

On St. Paddy's Day

It so happens that on St. Patricks Day 167 years ago--on 17 March 1842--the Relief Society of the LDS church was organized by Emma Hale Smith.
*
With the motto "Charity Never Faileth," the Relief Society is the largest women's organization in the world. It's also one of the oldest.
*
*
*
In honor of Relief Society's creation, a birthday celebration is held every March to remember its mission of service and to recognize those who've carried out its work over the years.
*
Tonight we enjoyed a program of music and speakers while delighting in a traditional dinner of corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread, salad, assorted cakes, and refreshing cucumber water.
*
*

Here at my table I was joined by good friends Charla, Wyndie, and Gwen (left to right, starting with Charla in the red). Our friends make everything more fun!
*
By the way, I was good! I didn't try even one bite of bread or potato or cake, though it was certainly inviting. But the salad and the corned beef and cabbage were delicious and filling.

At the end of the program, a group of ladies sang this song about sisterhood. I'm sorry the sound is so faint, because it was a beautiful song sung beautifully! The ladies are, from left to right: Karen, Vonnie, DeeDee, Wyndie, Jona, Jeanette, and Flora. (Jona is the sister of my sister-in-law Dana. I'm sorry to say I don't know the name of the sister on the far right in the yellow dress.) It was a lovely, uplifting program that reminded us of our power to change the world through service to others, by following the example of Jesus Christ. What better way to end the day for the wearin' o' the green!

3 comments:

LORI said...

SOUNDS LIKE A LOVELY TIME WAS HAD BY ALL, AND I'M GOING TO HAVE TO TRY CUCUMBER WATER--IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY TO PREPARE IT? SOUNDS YUM!

Grandma Honey said...

I like the way your ward set up the food on the table, family style! So each table must have had their own crockpot, salad, rolls and dessert, right? What a great way to serve everyone.

Charla said...

Yay! There I am! - and the lid didn't distort my face too bad after all! LOL
I loved having dinner with you. We need to do it more often - and without all the other "tables" ;o)