Friday, April 17, 2009

Unfinished Business

It's been another full week, with no time for blogging until now. (Yes, I know it's sad that I'm sitting at home on a Friday night...**sigh**)

The FEA sponsor posted pictures from last week's competition, so I "borrowed" a couple. Here we have my son Jacob and another student receiving their silver medals.

Below is a pic of our winning FEA chapter, with their wonderful sponsor, Mrs. Schindler.

On my drive home from school today I listened to Jacob on the radio at 101.7 FM! He was doing an announcement for SADD Club, and he'll be doing another on Monday morning for another radio station, either 95.7 or 96.5, he's not sure which.

He said it was a lot scarier than he expected. At one point he forgot what he was going to say. Cute!

FEA sponsored a highly successful blood drive on Wednesday. They hoped to collect 45 pints of blood, and they ended up with 58! Jacob planned to give a pint (he donated at their last blood drive), but he ended up in the nurse's office when he kicked a door and painfully jammed his toes.

Since I couldn't get a picture of Jacob's donation, I sneaked up on Wyndie while she donated instead!

Here are the last of my Easter photos that I meant to post several days ago.

Dylan announced that he's too old now to color Easter eggs (he's 11), so he went to a friend's house. Guess what they did there: they colored Easter eggs!

Jacob left for the stake dance, so Sarah dyed the eggs all by herself on Saturday night. The tradition lives on!

Look what the Easter Bunny brought! Here is Dylan with his basket of goodies, which were totally devoured by Sunday afternoon.

I'm not sure how the tradition began, but long ago the Easter Bunny started bringing videos (and now DVDs) to my children. The kids always look forward to seeing what new movies will be joining our ridiculously large collection.

Every summer at our yard sale we sell off any old videos the kids no longer watch, usually for $2 to $5 each. It's our little way of spreading the joy!

*

I think one of the hardest things about watching my children grow up is letting go of some of the traditions that used to light up their little faces, like Easter egg hunts and dying eggs and anxiously waiting for the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus.

I comfort myself that someday I will get to relive the joy of bright eyes wide with wonder when I have grandchildren. I can't wait!

Here we have Jacob with his Easter haul. I don't think his candy lasted much longer than Dylan's!

*

Lastly we have Sarah and her Easter basket. She actually saved some of her candy, but one of her brothers (I'm not pointing fingers) found her stash and made off with it.

In my general conference post on April 5, I briefly mentioned the Easter message shared by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, one of the Apostles who lead our church. I didn't go into detail because I knew I couldn't do the message justice. Not even close.

To hear the message in Elder Holland's own words and voice, click on the link below. Images have been added to this clip, but the retelling of the ancient story is powerfully touching. It's about 4 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rboSk1p06BQ

No comments: