Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Waiting in Paradise

Seven years ago today my mother went on ahead to wait for us in Paradise. I love to imagine her joyous reunion with her parents, her sister Eva, and my brother Gerald.
*
Mom had her first micro-strokes in April and May 1997 at the age of 59. It was frightening to see her confused and slurring her words. Her father, my grandfather Loyd Haley, died of a massive stroke at the age of 59, so we were worried, but Mom recovered quickly.
*
This picture with my 11-week old son Dylan was taken 4 months later, Sept. 19, 1997. Mom did pretty well for the next 2 years, but a lifetime of hypertension had done its damage.
*
She was on her porch on March 29, 1999 when she suffered a major stroke. Luckily a man who was there to spray for bugs called 911 and stayed with her.
*
Mom was paralyzed and unable to speak. She could communicate only by blinking once for yes and twice for no. How scared she must have felt! She was given a new clot-buster drug, and then Dad and I watched them load her into a helicopter and fly her to Phoenix.
*
Here she is at Barrow Neurological Institute 5 days later. She hated that feeding tube in her nose! Miraculously, she relearned to walk and talk, although she never fully regained her strength.
Mom continued to suffer health problems after this. In May 2000 she had a heart attack and congestive heart failure, getting a pacemaker. In June of that year she developed painful arthritis in her spine. In May 2001 they found she had a leaky heart valve. When she was dignosed in March 2002 with diabetes and kidney failure, just months from dialysis, Mom had had enough.
Mom declined quickly after that. She had begun to dread springtime because her strokes and heart attacks seemed to come in the spring. Now, however, she embraced the hope that she would go quickly in the spring of 2002.
*
About a year earlier she had begun to talk of her death as if she knew it was imminent. She began giving away her things and told me she didn't think she would live to be 65. I thought she was being fanciful and just needed to fight.
How could she even think about not being around to watch her precious grandchildren grow up? I asked myself.
*
She did confide to me during her last months that her biggest regret was not spending more time with her grandchildren when she had felt well enough to enjoy them more.
*
This is Dylan, who found his way into a tree near the gravesite after the funeral. He was only 4 when he lost his grandmother, but he has surprisingly clear memories of her. He still talks about how he looks forward to seeing Grandma Butler again when Jesus returns to earth and she is resurrected.
*
The night before Mom died we discussed how hard it was to enjoy the few foods she was allowed to eat. She was so frustrated. When I left, I gave her a hug and a kiss, never dreaming it would be the last time I saw her.
*
The next morning we spoke on the phone. She told me she thought she didn't have long. I called my sister in Mesa to suggest she give Mom a call, but we were both in denial.
Mom watched the final two Sunday sessions of general conference, then she began letting go. Dad called me from the hospital to say she was bad but the doctors were working on her. He thought she'd be fine, so I didn't need to rush over.
*
My brother Darryl was there. He says Dad was deeply in denial.
*
After we hung up, I had a strange sensation, like Mom's spirit had passed through mine. I remember telling her in my mind that it was okay, I was ready to let her go if it was her time.
*
At that same time, Darryl was watching the doctors trying to save her life. At first she seemed to be fighting to live, and then he said she got a look of peace on her face and just relaxed. Then she was gone. She was 64, just 5 months shy of her 65th birthday.
*
I wasn't really ready, of course. It was incredibly hard to go to the hospital after Darryl called to say she had passed away. It was wrenching to call my sister and give her the news. But there was no doubt in my heart that Mom chose to go and she was finally pain-free and happy.
You can see my dad went all out on the headstone. It tells a story. Mom loved her dogs and she loved traveling with Dad during his years as a trucker. But above all she loved family. All 6 of her children's names are inscribed on the back, along with a picture taken on the day we were sealed in the temple.
*
Left to right, here we all are with our Dad: Jeff, Darryl, Karla, Mary (me), and LeRoy. I know Mom loved it when we were all together.
The spouses are included in this picture: Darryl and Tamera; Jeff and Dana; Karla and Brian; Lori and LeRoy; and Mary and Mark (now my ex-husband).
*
The great thing about funerals is the support of family. It really carried us through that first week after Mom's death. We were able to spend time with relatives we hadn't seen in ages, who came to grieve with us.
Here we have Uncle Ernie & Aunt Alma, Uncle Elmer & Aunt Jean, Uncle Neil & Aunt Susan, and Uncle Ralph & Aunt Fern with Dad. (Uncle Elmer passed away a few years ago from a stroke.) Ernie, Jean, and Fern are dad's siblings. Ralph is Mom's brother.
*
Aunts, uncles, cousins, family friends--they formed a comforting circle of love around us.
*
Families are forever, a beautiful gift from God that we enjoy here and now.
*
We miss you, Mom.

4 comments:

LORI said...

I ALWAYS THINK ABOUT YOUR MOM THIS TIME OF YEAR, AND I REMEMBER GETTING THAT PHONE CALL FROM KARLA AND PASSING THE PHONE TO LEROY. A NECESSARY PART OF LIFE FOR SURE, BUT DOESN'T MAKE IT ANY EASIER...

Grandma Honey said...

You have a way of writing Mary, plus the great pictures, of bringing it all back. I love your details. I think you are the only one in the world who is more detailed than I am. I love your Mom's grave marker with all your names on it. I think it was worth whatever your Dad had to spend for it. You are so smart to take pictures of all the family when you are together. I need to do that more. Those pictures are priceless later on.

L3TitBL33D said...

That day will forever be etched in my mind and heart. I know that was what mother wanted to do, I'll never forget what transpired that fateful day. Mom woke up early, I got up and dad and Tamera were still asleep. Mom had asked about the General Conference and if I could check to see if it was going to be televised. When I checked the schedule it showed no listing. I could tell mom was eager to see it. I just had my spirit on my shoulder again. (Remember I told Tamera when we lived in Tn. tha we had to move back to be with mom) I called the cable co. and asked them if it was going to be televised and they said no. A little bit of a phone beating went on for about an hour and after a few people were thoroughly trashed, mom said it wasn't important. I sat down on dad's chair and we started talking about nothing important at first, not really paying attention to the TV, then she said that she felt that she couldn't go on much longer. We discussed the kids and g-kids and how she felt selfish for her feelings, I remember telling her that she was the one in constant pain and she's led a great life and we all were taught many important things and it wasn't our decision, but hers. I suggested that she talk to dad how she was feeling and to do what she needed to doand I, myself felt comfort for her. Never on my wildest dreams did I think that meant that day. When dad and Tamera woke, it was amazing that the GC was showing on the cable channel. Devine intervention? Tam and I left that day to look for apt.s and came home to a letter on the table just saying TOOK MOM TO THE ER ROOM BE BACK FOR DINNER. My spirit jumped on my shoulder and told me get there. Tam drove and dropped me off at the back door and by the time I got in there they had started to try cpr and talking about a tube, dad was just staring glassy eyed and in dis-belief. The ER tech asked if they should do a TL and he had no response. They kept watching the monitor and her vitals were showing a faint HB and I finally asked if they Knew she had a pace maker. DAH!! By that time a tech started to insert the tube (which mom had said to never let them do it again) and I finally walked to her side and I could see her spirit leave her body and I could tell she was telling me to make them stop. She just has this un-describable look, one that you just have to see to know, a picture couldn't show it. I felt good to answer mom's request and get them to stop. I still to this day feel that the ER nurse over-medicated mom when she first got there. They spoke of it when I first got there, but it became hush-hush when I started asking questions after mom passed. I have been frustrated over that for years, it took me awhile to let it go, mom wanted to go to heaven because she was just too tired and sore. Sorry Mar this is so long, but man it feels really good to type it out. I think of mom on a daily basis and try to remember all the things I learned from her over my life. She was an amazing woman and mother. RIP in HEAVEN. LUV U

ashley b said...

wow. i didn't realize that the date was so close. i have had grandma on my mind all week and actually just minutes ago as i was cutting garrett's hair i was slipping into memories of grandma and photos of her perming my dad's hair. ha ha
i am so glad for the time that i got to spend with her before her passing. because of her damage from the stroke i would go over every couple of weeks and help her with the bills and cleaning. it was really nice one on one time for me. i remember the last time that i saw grandma. her and grandpa had come by to deliver a birthday card for amber and i was the only one home. i think we talked a little while about school and then they had to leave. i gave grandma a hug and kiss on the cheek and told her i loved her. and it's funny i still remember how her voice sounded when she said she loved me and how her cheek felt so warm and soft. we went to the valley that following weekend and on our way home sunday night the alternator went out on the suburban. we had to make a very slow drive back to my grandpa burke's house in coolidge. when we got there my grandpa met us outside and asked if he could talk to my dad. i walked in and then went back out when not everyone had made it inside. my dad told me and i was just in complete shock. i really didn't see it coming at all. somehow i just always assumed that grandma would make it out of everything. once i really accepted it i couldn't control my emotions and i broke into full on sobs. i excused myself to the bathroom where i laid on the floor and tried to muffle myself because i couldn't stop.
i miss grandma terribly and always find myself wishing that my boys would have had some time with her on this earth. and that matt would have had a chance to meet her. i'm so grateful to have lived so closely to her while growing up. i have so many sweet memories to share with my family.
she was a great example of a wife and mother (and dog owner :) and i look forward to being with her again.
i love you grandma!