Monday, February 14, 2011

Our First Valentine Lesson

Today was our first Valentines Day.  Quite an occasion, considering that a year ago Ed and I hadn't even met yet.  That particular online anniversary is still slightly more than 6 weeks away.

Our sweetheart holiday didn't begin in a promising way.  We'd had a disagreement last night, one of those silly things we were unable to resolve before giving up and falling asleep.  Or trying to sleep, at least.  Things were still a bit cool when I left for work this morning.  It made me sad all day, and I wondered how it would be when I came home at the end of the day.

Ed grills up some chicken for dinner.

The card, chocolates, earrings, and socks I received from my ever-practical husband.
The small polka-dotted package was almost too cute to open, so I waited on that one.

Then I found a bag of gifts and a card waiting on my pillow.  I scooped them up, grabbed another small bag stuffed full of my gifts for Ed, and met him on the living room couch.  It was amazing how quickly our hearts softened when we looked upon the gifts we'd lovingly chosen for one another.

From the tiny polka-dotted box: small silver hoops studded with little diamonds.  I love them!

We completely melted as we read the tender messages inscribed inside the cards.  In seconds we were back in each other's arms.  How can a disagreement compare to the love we feel?  Funny how the traditions of a little commercial holiday can put everything back into an eternal perspective. 

Ed's gifts: chocolates, a watch, and a box of bullets.  He's a hopeless romantic!

A Valentines Day lesson: never let a day go by without sharing those sweet words of love and commitment.  Disagreements come and go, but love is meant to last forever.

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

You both are too cute!
I won't even wish you a Happy Valentine's Day because I can tell you already had one.