Friday, November 27, 2015

Giving Thanks Together

Not exactly a Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving painting...
Sarah, Chris, Mark, Jake, and Dylan surround the family table.
November 27, 2015

Tonight, at last, we were all able to be together at the same time and give thanks while enjoying our bounteous feast. There was plenty of merriment around the table when Dylan got us all started telling what we were most grateful for this year. Jake held the salt shaker to his chest, wiped away an imaginary tear, and said, "I'd like to thank the academy..." before going on to speak of his blessings. Then Mark started right off with, "I'm thankful to not be in prison..." Amongst the laughter and kidding around, there was deep gratitude expressed for all God has given us.

Mark eclipses Chris's face with his turkey drumstick.

Above all else, I am grateful for my so-very-not-traditional family and the love and laughter we share and the hardships we face together. We are far from perfect, but the bonds are real. I truly can't imagine my life without each of these goofballs. The only thing that could have made the evening sweeter would have been if Jacob and Danielle had walked through the door to join us.

Our feast included turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, rolls,
and low-carb green bean casserole (which was quite good, actually).
And yes, after 4 weeks of eating right, I cheated. I cheated badly.

I indulged in mashed potatoes, as planned, but I also had a bit of corn and two rolls. Worse yet, I finished up the night with two slices of pie: one chocolate silk pie (not the low-carb pie I'd intended to make) and the other my personal favorite, razzleberry pie. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to curl up in my bed and fall into a carbohydrate coma. Good-night!

No comments: