Thursday, June 30, 2016

Parenthood, by Dylan

April 30, 2016

I might have mentioned a time or two (or three) that my talented son Dylan is beginning a career as a professional photographer. He has already done several photo-shoots (and he was even paid for one of them, so I guess that means he is a professional...), with several more upcoming. Most have been senior pictures, but then he was asked by a friend to do a series of pregnancy photos. He was a little nervous, but he did some research and discussed it with his digital photography teacher, who has his own successful photography business, and he decided to give it a try. I think he aced it.

There are many beautiful photos in this collection, including some with props featuring ultrasound photos and the baby's name, but here are just a few of my favorites.


People pictures are not a strength of mine. I love them and I take a lot of them, but usually they look too posed or too wild or too disorganized. Dylan seems to have a gift for natural poses and relaxed expressions. He really brings out the best in his subjects.


Perhaps the best indicator of his skill occurred when the mom-to-be in these photos went to Walmart to have baby shower invitations printed, featuring one of these pictures. The photo department would not allow her to have them printed until she brought in a photo release form signed by the photographer. It appeared clear to them that this was professional work!

How come they never demand a release form for my pictures to be printed? Okay, never mind...

At first I thought, "He cut her head off!" Then I realized how perfectly
he'd centered the attention on papa and baby here. Well done, Dylan!


I guess you could say I'm just a little bit of a proud mom!

No comments: