Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Getting Real

Students at their computers on the EAST wall of my old classroom.
April 18, 2017

People often ask me if it feels like I'm retired yet. I'm getting there, especially since school started almost two weeks ago. For instance, last Tuesday Mark and I stopped by my favorite nursery, Christopher Gardens, to see if anyone could explain why the lower leaves on my tomato plants were turning yellow. As we were leaving the nursery, I commented on how much lighter the traffic was than usual. The words were barely out of my mouth when I noticed that the clock on the dash board read "12:30," and it suddenly hit me that everyone else was back in school, but I was not.

Oh, sweet bliss.

My old desk (at the left) was in the southeast corner of my classroom,
with the reading center and student art on the SOUTH wall.

In the spring, I had a student teacher who taught my classes (under my supervision) for most of the semester. In the end, Mr. Vizzerra graduated and earned his teaching certificate, and he was offered a job teaching English at our high school. Goodness knows, there were plenty of openings since our entire English department decided to retire at the same time. Well, almost. Ms. Privatera, Ms. Mitchell, and myself all retired. Our department chair, Ms. Green, accepted a job at a middle school in the Phoenix area. Only Ms. Clarey returned for this school year, and she was fresh out of college just a year ago. For a while, we weren't sure which classes Mr. V would be assigned to teach.

Eventually, it was decided that he would take over my classes. I was thrilled because I believe it's a perfect fit. Then the powers-that-be decided to move him to a different classroom down the hall. Everything seemed to be up in the air for a long time. However, in July Mr. V texted me that they'd changed their minds and he was keeping my classroom. It seemed that everything was finally settled and I could simply move on.

The desk used by my aide, Mr. Cotellesse, was in the southwest corner.
The whiteboard and my podium were on the WEST wall.

At the end of the first week of school, August 2-4 (a three-day school week to start things off), Mr. V texted me, saying he had some questions and could we meet over the weekend. So I met with him at my old classroom for about an hour and a half on Sunday afternoon. But it definitely wasn't my room anymore. I remember the surreal feeling as I walked in and looked around. I wanted to say, "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!"

The television was in the northwest corner, although rarely used.
Mostly we watched films via my computer projected on a screen.
(This view is taken from behind my old desk.)

Don't get me wrong. I love what he's done with the place. I knew Mr. V would take things in a whole new direction, and that's as it should be. I just wasn't quite prepared for how different everything was, so soon, and it threw me for a loop. I actually think it was helpful for me, seeing that the remaining vestiges of my long-time presence are fading away, making it a little easier to let go and realize that my days as an educator truly are in the past.

The small-group-work table was on the NORTH wall and the
classroom door in the northeast corner. (Seen from my aide's desk.)

One of the first things I noticed was that he got rid of the desks and switched over to small, four-student tables. Earlier in my career, I'd considered doing the same thing. Then came a semester when a science teacher was on maternity leave and I was asked to teach one of her classes on my prep until she returned (I'm actually highly qualified to teach English, science, and--ahem--math). This teacher had tables rather than desks, which makes perfect sense for a science class, but I quickly realized it didn't fit too well with my style of teaching. Much too loosy-goosy, with ample opportunities for cheating and other shenanigans. I quickly threw out that idea for myself, but I admire teachers who can handle it.

My old classroom is no longer recognizable as my old classroom!

As you can see in the above photo, Mr. V kept the student computers on the EAST wall, where I also had them, but he changed the configuration from a straight row along the wall to a horseshoe-pattern. I like it. On one hand, it will be more difficult to monitor what the students are doing, but on the other, it will limit opportunities for looking on each others' computers.

Notice he also moved the reading center into the southeast corner, where my desk used to be, and he added some nicer furniture to the old couch (donated long ago by the elementary school). He said he got a great deal on the new furniture at a yard sale. He also took down all the posters I'd left, and I really like the new paper he put up over the bulletin boards and old chalkboards. He said he's waiting for new posters he ordered.

The SOUTH wall as it now appears. Mr. V's desk at far right.

As for the SOUTH wall, where the reading center used to be, Mr. V moved the shelves there that used to be behind my desk. And he moved his desk to the southwest corner, which used to be where my aide, Mr. Cotellesse, had his desk. Mr. C toyed with the idea of coming back for another year, but as the school year wound down to the final months, he decided to retire, too. (He tells me he's very happy with that decision now!) Mr. V has a new aide, a lady named Ms. Ophelia. Her aide desk is now in the northwest corner, which is where we'd put Mr. V's desk while he was student teaching.

Mr. V's desk at left, Ms. Ophelia's desk at right, and my podium still on WEST wall.

The two most noticeable changes at the WEST end of the classroom are 1) the television is missing, and 2) my Harry Potter posters above the brown- and white-boards are gone. Shocking! The TV has probably become obsolete. One new thing for the 2017-18 school year is that every classroom will be equipped with a class set of laptops, one for every student, as well as new laptops for the teachers. Who needs a TV when everyone has a screen at his or her desk?

As for my Harry Potter posters, I left them because the newly hired English teacher who was originally slated to take my classroom told me she's a huge Harry Potter fan and would be honored to keep them. When Mr. V got the room, he donated the posters to another new English teacher who'd also expressed interest in them. At least they've gone on to a new life.

The NORTH wall has changed the least.

On the NORTH wall, Mr. V rearranged the shelves a bit and put up new paper and posters, but he kept the small-group-work table there. Although, he did switch out my long gray table for a smaller trapezoidal table. I'm completely sincere when I say that he has created an inviting and practical work space for his students.

I loved this punching bag on Mr. V's desk.
Better to vent his frustration here than on students!

As we left the classroom, we took a detour to see the new library (or should I say, "Old library," since it's been returned to its original location from the days when the East Campus--my building--used to be the junior high). It was another dramatic change that was almost shocking, but it's absolutely a positive change. For several years it has served as a very large English classroom, but I like it better as the library.

Finally, Mr. V shared other changes and issues that are already arising as the new school year begins. New and burdensome expectations placed upon the teachers, horrendous problems with the new technology, the most difficult of last year's students ALL assigned to his classes... The rightness of the timing for my retirement has been confirmed!

BRHS Class of 2017 with Principal Jay Cox.

Over the course of twenty-seven years, I survived four principals: Kevin Bortin, Gerad Ball, Eric Harmon, and Jay Cox. I endured through four superintendents: Gordon Meredith, Mike Aylstock, Greg Schalow, and Mike Wright. I was blessed by six amazing aides: Laurel Evans, Tamera Butler, Wyndie Prestwich, Kristina Cummins, Kim Harmon, and Joe Cotellesse. I occupied three different classrooms in two different buildings. I taught both special education and regular classes, including English, earth science, and general math. And, above all,  I was touched in so many different ways by the thousands of students who passed through my classes during those years. 

It was a good run, a great career, and now it's time to pursue the other interests I put aside long ago.

I've finally graduated. The oldest member of the Class of 2017!

No comments: