Thursday, December 21, 2017

Two Christmas Parties

Dec 4, 2017: Brooke, Dylan, Mary, and Jake at Chalet.

I got to take part in two parties this Christmas season, which always makes the holidays feel more festive. The first invitation was unexpected but happily accepted. My son-in-law Jake works for a large resort, and they throw a lavish Christmas party each year, to which each employee may bring one guest. Last year they held it at Chalet, one of the top five most expensive restaurants on the mountain (meaning, I've only eaten there maybe a dozen times in twenty-seven years). Chalet's food is amazing, so I commenced to give Jake a hard time about choosing me for his "plus one." Surely he understood it would be best to take his mother-in-law. Dylan would get over it, right?

Jake opens his white elephant gift right after I chose mine.

Naturally, I did not prevail, and Dylan won the coveted position. This year, though, Jake texted me with an offer I couldn't refuse. Their roommate, Brooke, who'd moved here from Pennsylvania back in August, was also working at the resort now, but she didn't have anyone she wanted to invite. Did I want to be her "plus-one" for the night? After all, the party was going to be at Chalet again this year. Is that a trick question? Ummm...heck yeah!

Dylan was last to choose a gift, so he got to steal any gift in the room!

So I got to enjoy not only the food (I ordered the steak plate), but also the zaniness of Jake's co-workers and the fun of their white elephant gift exchange. When we drew numbers, I got #21 and Jake got #22, but Dylan drew the highly-sought-after #50, which meant he would get the last gift on the table, but he could steal anyone else's gift in the entire room. The present I opened was a pair of binoculars and a Swiss army knife-type tool for hunters, but by the end of the evening I'd been traded down to a bag of baby clothes for a toddler girl. Which, of course, I have no need for, but I've tucked it away for the next baby-girl baby shower I attend. (They are very cute outfits.)

I don't recall what was in the bag Dylan opened, but it didn't matter, because he already knew exactly what he wanted. All throughout the game, he'd had his eye on a particularly soft blanket someone else had opened earlier, and he went straight to it, claiming it despite the cries of its previous owner's dismay.

A plate of appetizers at each table. The duck bites were to die for!

We had a great time, but I'm also glad I was able to go and spend one final evening with Brooke, who left us the very next day. She'd decided she needed to return to her home state of Pennsylvania, so she repacked all her things and mailed them ahead, and then on the night following the party, Dylan and Jake drove her to the Valley, where she caught a flight home early the next morning.

Dec 16, 2017: Beautifully decorated tables at the church Christmas party.

Next up was the annual Rainbow Lake Ward Christmas party at the church. I was rather more involved in this party, since the Relief Society had been asked to organize it. Thankfully, it became a team effort with plenty of help from every organization, as well as the unexpected blessing of having the Wagon Wheel Ward's decorations already put in place for us!


It just so happened that Wagon Wheel Ward (the ward attended by my daughter and son-in-law, as well as my dad and step-mom) had their Christmas party the night before ours. Since there were no activities being held at the church the following day, they agreed to leave the tables and chairs and their decorations up for us. The plus for us: we didn't have to decorate, and their decorations were amazing. The plus for them: they didn't have to put everything away.

A not-so-traditional Nativity with six Marys holding their babies!
(And only two Josephs, apparently a role that was not quite as highly sought.)

The Relief Society provided most of the food, handled the serving of it, and covered the kitchen cleanup. The Young Women youth group provided rolls for the meal. The Primary (children's group) provided the Nativity and the music. The men--High Priests group, Elders quorum, and Young Men youth group--handled the cleanup of the cultural hall and putting away all the tables and chairs. Other than the potatoes taking longer than planned to warm for dinner, everything ran like clockwork!

"We Three Kings" sung by a quartet featuring Dirk, Andy, Trace, and Josh.

For dinner, we served ham, twice-baked potatoes, green salad, and buttered rolls. Dessert featured raspberry cheesecake, fresh donuts, and cookie platters. There was so much food left by the end of the night that we were able to prepare many gift meals for home-bound families in our ward, plus some extra goodies for those who helped with the cleanup

Erika beautifully sang "Where Are You Christmas?"

I didn't get many pictures of either event. Lately it seems like I'm having a hard time multitasking. Once I get into a conversation or get distracted by the arrival of the food or pause to enjoy the entertainment, I completely forget that I have my camera with me. By the time I remember, the food on the plate has been decimated, the performance is ending, or people are crowding past the intended subject and all I get is a blur.

It's been especially tricky since many of these events involve my new Relief Society calling. I want to take pictures as I always have, but now I feel a little guilty when I know I should be focused more on preparing food or serving dinner or putting away leftovers or washing up dishes. So I sneak away to snap a few shots before hurrying back to tend to duties.

At the very end, Santa made a surprise visit for the excited children.
(With our bishop, Grant Berges, on the right.)

Of course, people sometimes say we should put away our cameras and instead "live in the moment." While I agree with the sentiment, and I sometimes try to do that, I also realize that my clearest childhood memories are those that include photos in the family album. Looking at them occasionally throughout my life has freshened those memories with each viewing. Instead of fading with time, they continue to be vividly rooted in my memory.

Besides, I am in the moment, even when I'm taking pictures. A memory is no less memorable just because you caught it on "film." And I hope that these captured memories will bring joy to my children and others we love throughout the remainder of their lives!

No comments: