Wednesday, July 11, 2018

A Fifth of July

Dylan, Jake, and Chris during a round of the game IMAGINiff.
July 5, 2018

It's been a whole week since Independence Day. I guess I've had too many other things on my mind lately to be in a blogging mood. And, as usual, we didn't celebrate the Fourth of July on the Fourth of July. Sarah worked late on that day, so we postponed our family barbecue until the next day, the Fifth. Everyone except Sarah and Chris had that day off, and Sarah got off earlier than usual, at 2:30.

Jake, Chris, Sarah (Mark in background) as the game continues.

One of the fun things about this year's get-together was that we were able to celebrate at Sarah and Chris's new house. When Chris proposed the idea, I said, "Really? You mean I can just show up, eat, and leave?" It wasn't quite like that, of course, but I had to give them a hard time. My kids are actually quite helpful about our weekly dinners (except for the dishes afterward).

Homemade ice cream was half-gone when I remembered to take a picture.

Although Chris wouldn't get home until 5:30 to start the grilling, I went on over to their place at 4:00 to help Sarah make the potato salad. I also brought the hot dogs, bratwurst, and buns to go with the chicken Chris was grilling. Later that evening, I made my famous sugar-free homemade strawberry ice cream. Mark tended to the freezer while I played a board game with the kids. We had a great time together, as we always do.

Sarah, Mark, and Dylan relax and watch Americas' Funniest Videos

That was on Thursday. When Sunday rolled around, we decided to go ahead and have our weekly family dinner. Dylan had been hankering after my fried chicken for weeks, so that's what we did. This time, Jake and Chris missed out. Jake had to work the evening shift that night, while Chris was engrossed in on-line gaming with his dad, who lives in Mesa. But we sent chicken home for both of them.

Mom and Sarah wait for the chicken to fry.

I have a pretty great life. Sure, there are always stressful events along with the overall craziness of life, but I have my home, my health, and a comfortable retirement. It isn't perfect, but it holds all the elements for happiness. Above all, I have my family. Every other blessing would seem hollow without loved ones to fill our lives up with purpose and love. And for that, I am very grateful!

Mom and Dylan still waiting for the chicken to fry.

Oh...and yes, I did leave all the dirty dishes for Sarah and Chris to clean up at the end of our Fifth of July Independence Day barbecue. But it's all good. They have a dishwasher!

Dylan did most of the prep work on the chicken, with an assist from Sarah.

Dinner is served!

No comments: