Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Seasons

April 14, 2019: Mist rises off our neighborhood pond at 5:45 a.m.
This occurs when daytime temps are warm & the pond retains the heat 
even when temperatures still drop below freezing overnight.

It is definitely spring in the White Mountains. Not that there's no chance of further snow. We all remember when we got hit with a crazy snowstorm on the day of Sarah's high school graduation at the end of May 2008, when the ceremony unexpectedly had to be moved from the football field to the gym (the only time that happened in the 29 years since I moved here). But those chilly kinds of events so late in May are extremely rare.

April 13, 2019: Two paired geese inhabit our pond. Every morning at dawn,
they take flight over our neighborhood, honking loudly overhead.

The weather forecast for today says there's a 70% chance of rain, and there is definitely a bank of low, fat clouds rolling in.  However, for the rest of April it calls for daily highs between 67 and 77 degrees, with lows in the 40s. To me, that's pretty close to perfect! It's been awfully breezy, with a windchill factor that sometimes makes you grit your teeth and hurry indoors, but I really like this time of year. After the inconvenient but beautiful months of magical snowfalls, spring is always welcome. It's the time of budding greenery and colorful blossoms to be enjoyed before fire season begins in earnest.

You know winter is over when the kitchen chairs take off their jackets!

Still, there will be things I miss about winter. So here are a few of my fun memories from our winter of 2018-19. 

January 15, 2019: I love when the neighborhood pond freezes over.

December 22, 2018: I love the Christmas lights and decorations.
Our house with lights & wreath is on the right, and our neighbor's on the left.
(In fact, I actually use our Christmas lights all year instead of the porch light.)

A house around the corner, owned by a fellow teacher at the high school.

This house is right on the corner, two doors down from us.

I love the holiday fun of friends dropping by with thoughtful gifts,
like this delicious homemade bread from Jacque and Kendall Johnson.

December 26, 2018: I love running into my kids at Walmart the day
after I gave them matching Star Wars shirts for Christmas!

January 1, 2019: And I love sights like this after a big storm!

No comments: