Monday, September 1, 2008

From '54 to Fifty-Four

First of all, I'd like to say how sweet it was of the federal government to establish a national holiday in honor of my mother's 72 hours of labor bringing me into this world. (What do you mean, that's not what Labor Day is about?)

Okay, but it was still nice to stay home from work on my birthday today!

This was kind of a special birthday for me because I was born September 1, 1954, which was 54 years ago, so now I'm 54 years old! I hope that bodes well for an exceptional year ahead, which will end in double-nickels at age 55, as my sister-in-law Dana pointed out. Maybe my stars are finally aligned just right!

My children made the day special for me, as they always do. They sneaked around all day on Saturday, buying a gift and searching out just the right decorations and cake mix and toppings.

Today they tried to send me to see a movie so they could decorate the house on the sly, but I couldn't tear myself away from the stacks of laundry. I promised to lock myself in my room so they could decorate to their heart's content, which I did, so they did.

Here I am blowing out the candles on the cake they trimmed themselves with a tiara and a wand, both of which lit up with flashing lights. Sarah, Jacob, and Dylan know how much I like sparkly things, like jeweled crowns!
Before we partied tonight, we first had to fulfill our birthday tradition of eating at our favorite Mexican restaurant, El Rancho. At the end of the meal the waiters bring out a sombrero and a complimentary dish of deep-fried ice cream, then sing to you while taking your picture. Here I am with the yummy dessert, which we split four ways, of course!
*
We have El Rancho pictures dating back to 1990, when we first moved to our beloved mountain.
The kids blew up all these balloons and filled each one with small bags of my favorite candies, various types of M&Ms. They also rolled up tiny little scrolls with letters on them and put the scrolls inside the balloons. After the balloons were popped, I had to assemble the letters, which spelled out "HAPPY 54th BIRTHDY" (yes, there was an "A" missing). It was fun!
The kids bought me a new Willow Tree figurine (by Susan Lordi) for my collection. This one is called "Blessings." How appropriate, because I count my children as one of the greatest blessings of my life!

The collection began 2 years ago, on my 52nd birthday. It was just 2 days after my divorce was final, and my wonderful teaching assistant at that time, Kristina (who is now our nurse at the high school), gave me the first figurine, "Happiness."
Since then, knowing how I adore the Willow Tree figures, my kids have made it a tradition to add one to my collection each Mother's Day and birthday. I love it!
*
The collection at right consists of "Happiness," "Remember," "Love of Learning," "Loving Angel," and now "Blessings."
*
It was a lovely birthday. While I was opening my gift, Dylan slipped an arm around his sister, sighed, and said wistfully, "Our little girl is growing up." :) And about time, too!
*
I don't deserve them, but I'm so grateful to have 3 wonderful children like Sarah, Jacob, and Dylan!

2 comments:

Raelene said...

I'm glad your three treat you so well. It is a remarkable birthday this year isn't it. I was born on 5-4 in '54 and turned 54 on 5-4 this year. Wow! Love you!

Grandma Honey said...

You have outstandingly thoughtful children Mary! You certainly deserve all that they did for you, but many kids their ages are too into themselves.