Sunday, August 31, 2008

After Church

Here are my treasures--Dylan, Jacob, and Sarah--just after we got home from church today.

Dylan (age 11) is, of course, in his final year of Primary, in the Valiant 11 class. His teacher, Brother Watson, and previous teachers assure me that Dylan is one of the most helpful and quiet boys in class. Sometimes that's hard to believe, but I guess Primary teachers wouldn't lie!

Jacob (age 17) was secretary of the Priests Quorum all last year, but as soon as he returned from his summer job at Camp Geronimo last month he was called to be first assistant to our Bishop, Bishop Gardner. Now Jacob is busy planning Priest activities and making assignments and phone calls. He's quite good at organizing! (Now if he'd just finish his Eagle, he could get his drivers license!)

Sarah (age 18) was called to teach the Sunbeams class in Primary last month. Not only was she relieved to get out of Relief Society (she hasn't learned to love that organization the way her mom does yet), but she has a great time making little craft items and teaching those sweet 4-year-olds about Heavenly Father and Jesus. She truly has a gift for working with children and animals. In high school she earned certification to teach preschool, but her goal remains becoming a veterinarian tech.

As for me, I have been the ward Primary secretary since February. Unlike my daughter, I miss Relief Society a lot, yet I also enjoy this calling and the wonderful sisters I work with. I like the challenge of keeping things organized. I'm also the ward representative for 30+ Singles, although I asked to be released--back in February! I gave the whole singles thing a try for awhile, but sticking my toe in the pool of romance just gave me a bad chill!
*
You may be wondering about the funny-looking parrot on Jacob's shoulder. That's actually our cat Gandalf. We have a tall "Kitty Condo" on the porch next to the front door, where he waits for us to come home every day. The first person to walk through the door is the person he pounces upon, getting himself a free ride into the house.

The first time he leaped down on me from behind, I nearly had a heart attack, thinking I was being assaulted by a madman! I now have greater sympathy for the robbers in that old tale, the Bremen Town Musicians, who were attacked by critters gone wild!
*
Last of all, I'm happy to announce yet another new baby in the family! This one is a girl, breaking the run of five baby boys born this year!

This is Natalie Jacqueline Grace Esteban-Venturino, born on August 30. Her parents are my nephew DJ and his girlfriend Jessica. DJ is the youngest son of my sister-in-law Tamera and stepson of my brother Darryl, all of Missouri. Thanks, Tamera, for sharing the photos.
Congratulations on the new arrival, DJ and Jessica! We can't wait to meet her!

And to Gwen, if you're reading this: We love you! Our prayers are with you always!

3 comments:

ashley b said...

It's good to get updated! I've seen Sarah quite a bit lately which has been nice. But I hardly see you guys! And also, I had no idea that DJ's girlfriend was expecting! I haven't seen much of them since they moved from Show Low so I always picture a little 12 year old boy when I think of DJ. Oh and that is so funny about your cat! I don't know if I could ever get used to that! Oh AND Happy Birthday! We love you guys!

Raelene said...

Happy Birthday to you! Great blog posting. I can't believe how tall Jacob is, seeing all 3 of them together. Your family seems to be doing great! Does Jacob need an idea for his Eagle?

Grandma Honey said...

I don't know why my comment did not make it here. I just said that I remember you teaching Sunbeams too...but I think you were even younger than Sarah. It feels like it was last year.

I wanted to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! I always think of you every Sept. 1st. :)