Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Sweetest Music

We heard the sweetest music in church today.

In the program, 11-year-old Amelia was slated to sing a solo after the first speaker, accompanied by her mother on piano.
I thought her performance would be postponed. Her father, a member of our bishopric, is very ill. Yesterday her mom drove him to Phoenix for testing. There is concern that it's a recurrence of a life-threatening illness he beat more than a decade ago.
*
His young daughters are very concerned. Surely this would be too much.*
*
Amelia and her sisters are staying with another family from church while their parents are gone. When the mother of their host family suggested that she could wait for another day to perform, Amelia insisted that she was fine and wanted to do it today.
*
Her young voice was true as she began:

A long time ago in a beautiful place,
Children were gathered 'round Jesus.
He blessed and taught as they felt of His love.
Each saw the tears on His face.
The love that He felt for His little ones,
I know He feels for me.
I did not touch Him or sit on His knee,
Yet Jesus is real to me.

Dylan was impressed. He leaned over and whispered, "She sounds really good, Mom."
*
Then Amelia began the chorus:

"I know He lives--" That was as far as she got before she choked up with emotion. The substitute accompanist played quietly in the background as this brave girl struggled to get her voice back under control. She tried to pick it up several times, but she just couldn't continue.
*
Finally, she spoke quietly into the microphone: "I don't think I can..."
*
Before she could finish, she saw four figures leave their seats in the congregation and walk up to the podium to join her. Her older sister Allie, the mom and daughter of her host family, and another woman gathered around her and with Amelia they began the song over from the beginning. Their five voices quavered slightly, but it was truly the most beautiful music any of us had ever heard.
*

















Now I am here in a beautiful place,
Learning the teachings of Jesus.
Parents and teachers will help guide the way,
Lighting my path every day.
Wrapped in the arms of my Savior's love,
I feel His gentle touch.
Living each day, I will follow His way,
Home to my Father above.

I know He lives!
I will follow faithfully.
My heart I give to Him.
I know that my Savior loves me.

I can tell you that there was total silence in the congregation for this performance. Tears were pouring down nearly every face. The toughest of men were mopping their eyes with their handkerchiefs.
*
The Spirit filled the room, welcomed in by an outpouring of tender love and compassion.
*
*
It was as if Christ Himself had entered the room. Certainly He had entered our hearts.
*
I'm sure Heavenly Father was beaming down on a courageous young girl and the four pairs of loving arms supporting her, and thinking that this was some of the sweetest music He had ever heard.

5 comments:

LORI said...

AMAZING WHAT PEOPLE CAN ACCOMPLISH TOGETHER WITH THE LORD'S HELP! MY PRAYERS WILL BE WITH AMELIA AND HER FAMILY.

Grandma Honey said...

oh.....I wish I could have been there. But with your sweet description I sort of feel like I was. That will be a moment no one in the congregation will forget. For those people to quickly come to her aid, what an example of Christ teachings in action.

Grandma Honey said...

I just found that song on Youtube so I could listen. I don't think I've ever heard this one before. The words are beautiful!

Scott and Genevieve said...

I love that song. Our primary is learning it this year. I am sure I would have had tears pouring down my face along with everyone else. Best wishes for their family.

Charla said...

I had heard about this from Wyndie. You really should send your words to the Ensign. Surely the whole church could benefit from your rendition of this beautiful event. (I *AM* serious!)
Love you!