Saturday, December 3, 2011

Snow Day


School was cancelled yesterday, for which I am grateful since I had parking lot lunch duty and there was a foot of snow on the ground! It has continued to snow since then and is supposed to snow until tomorrow, another 5 to 11 inches. We're up to 2 feet deep already.
*
These are some pictures I took around our house yesterday morning. Today it's twice that deep, but I haven't been outside yet. Maybe I'll post more pictures later, but for now here's how the winter wonderland outside our house looked yesterday.

The oak tree branches were bent low by their load of snow.

We've been very blessed. We were awakened twice in the middle of the night (about 2am Friday) by the brilliant flashes of transformers exploding. Several of our friends and neighbors were without electricity all day yesterday and into the night, but we only lost power for a few minutes. Ed says we must be right on the edge of a different grid.
*
We had no Internet all day and experienced several brief brown-outs, but that's a small price to pay for all this beautiful snow and the needed moisture it brings.

The chickens' fenced yard became a cave!

 It started snowing again while I was taking pictures.

The fallen fence behind our house.

The oak trees at the side of the house.

A canopy of branches above the greenhouse.

Dylan's basketball hoop filled up with snow!

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

I have only seen snow a couple times in my whole life, so I am loving these pictures!