Saturday, March 29, 2014

36

Friday, March 28, 2014: Chris's mom, Brenda, makes such creatively cute cakes
for Chris's birthday every year! This year Chris is very into fishing.
Love how she put Chris's face on the little fisherman!

We'll take a break from the Tucson story today, to share instead some pictures from the birthday celebration of my son-in-law, Chris, who turned 36 yesterday. Last night we were invited over to the home of Chris's parents, Fred and Brenda, for a barbecue and family party. We had a great time, along with Chris's aunts and uncles and cousin Brandi.

I tried to take this shot without the flash so the candles would be brighter.

The burgers were juicily yummy, and I swear Brenda makes the best coleslaw in all the world! I didn't sample the cake and ice cream, though. After stuffing myself until it hurt to even think of food during our Tucson trip last week, I went back to my controlled-carb way of eating on Monday. I lost 6 lbs in the first 3 days and felt less bloated and achy right away.

My hand-dipped chocolate-covered strawberries (before the shells hardened).
They didn't turn out very pretty, but they're awfully tasty!

To avoid the temptation to eat cake and ice cream, I brought my own sugar-free dessert. I enjoyed 8 large, juicy strawberries dipped in sugar-free chocolate made from melted Ross dark chocolate bars. Delicious! So I didn't feel like I was missing out.

Sarah and Mary with the birthday boy.
 
Chris got lots of fun gifts. Most of it was related to fishing, but he also got lots of candy and toys. As for me, I shopped the Easter aisles at Walmart and got him a water pistol full of jelly beans, and a walking chicken that poops gum. He loved them. Chris may be 36 now, but he's still a big kid at heart.

Ryan and Shera with Chris and their gift to him,
a very nice tackle box and some fishing knives.

Jacob and Danielle made it for the first 45 minutes of the party, just long enough to have dinner with us, but they had to leave early so Jacob could get to work. I wish I'd remembered to get their pictures before they left!

I was also proud of Dylan, who remembered to call Chris from San Diego and wish his brother-in-law a happy birthday. I didn't even have to remind him! (Dylan is traveling in California with the high school orchestra and choirs for 5 days, and will return tomorrow night.)
 
Happy birthday to my favorite (and only) son-in-law! Hope it was an amazing day!

No comments: