Wednesday, January 14, 2015

In Between

10 Jan 2015: A gift for the newlyweds.

Lest anyone think there was time to relax and perhaps take a nap between Mariah and Dallin's wedding at the Gilbert Temple and their wedding reception, which began at 7:00 that evening, allow me to disabuse you of that notion!

Bread bowls on the luncheon table.

While the happy couple remained behind at the temple with their photographer, the rest of us headed over to the church where the luncheon had been prepared and set up by Dallin's mother and other family members. And an amazing luncheon it was, too!

Crock pot soups galore! 

I always get a bit nervous attending these events when I'm dieting. My 2015 New Year's Resolution is to avoid all sugars, wheat, corn and potatoes for an entire year so I can get healthier. This luncheon was my first big challenge. I think I did pretty well. I passed up the bread bowls and the cookies, as well as the pasta soups and potato soups.

Table decor at the luncheon.

However, there was lemon/lime water on the tables for drinking, a big green salad with Italian dressing, and a delicious cream of broccoli soup that I thoroughly enjoyed, so much so that I had one-and-a-half bowls full! There may have been some sugar in the dressing, and no doubt the soup was thickened with corn starch or flour, but overall I think I was successful in my choices.

My luncheon plate. I scooped a bit of sausage and zucchini out of a pasta soup!

We had arrived at the church around 1:00, and once it was clear that the Bride and Groom were going to be delayed for a while, it was decided to go ahead and serve lunch at 1:15. It was about 2:00 when they joined us and were finally able to relax and take some nourishment. By then, of course, it was time for the rest of us to move on to the church building where the reception was to be held and finish getting everything set up.

Elyssa and Scott hang a chandelier while Cami laughs at them.

My sister Karla puts on a mean reception. She began with her son and daughter-in-law, Jeremy and Cami (who now have 5 children), and continued on through 5 daughters: Genevieve, Elyssa, Brianna, Clelesta, and now Mariah. She's got it down to a science! She also has a small army of willing assistants who are there to see her through each wedding.

The area where wedding gifts were stacked throughout the evening.

Everyone seemed to know their part, from setting up furniture to decorating tables to preparing food. We lent a hand wherever they put us to task. My daughter Sarah, aka "the Baby Whisperer," always had an infant or toddler in her arms, rocking them to sleep so their parents could be free to work.

Table decor: Mariah's colors were pink and mint-green.

Chocolate was scattered everywhere! But I resisted it successfully. Karla always serves a light dinner featuring chicken salad sandwiches on croissants, so I ate the delicious pecan-and-grape-studded chicken salad without the bread. There was also pasta salad (I only picked out a couple of bites of salami); luscious-looking brownies that severely tested my resolve; and tempting pink punch that looked much sweeter than my lemon water! However, I was able to enjoy vegetables (celery, carrots, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, and olives) with a creamy dip, and strawberries with a few apple slices (but none of that decadent caramel sauce that was beckoning to me).


The refreshment table as it was being laden with a variety of delicious foods!

My largest contribution to the reception prep was the chalkboard that looks to become a family tradition. I first did one for Riley and Celesta's wedding more than a year ago. Karla handed me the chalkboard, chalk markers, and a sample of what she wanted, and the rest is history. Now, armed with Mariah and Dallin's special dates, I spent much of the 4 hours between the luncheon and the reception working on this beauty. Never mind that I had it half-finished when I decided I didn't like it, scrubbed it all clean, and started over! In the end, it turned out well. 

Mary with the Chalkboard of Romantic Memories!

One more post to go. Next, the reception fun!

No comments: