Saturday, April 2, 2016

We Did Do Easter, Too

Easter baskets for Dylan and Jake, with Mark's in the middle, on 
Easter Sunday, March 27, 2016

Our holidays are so different these days, almost too laid-back to feel like true holidays the way they did when our kids were younger. I guess that's to be expected, since Sarah and Jacob are both married and living on their own, and Dylan's an adult now, 18 years old and only eight weeks away from his high school graduation. In just a few months my nest will be truly empty for the first time in 27 years. Hard to imagine that this is probably the last time I'll fill an Easter basket.

Dylan and Jake with their Easter baskets.

We got home from the Renaissance Festival about 10:00 on Saturday night. Being so sick with a bad chest cold (I'm just barely starting to feel a little better now, a week later), this Easter Bunny was too tired to even think about Easter baskets and goodies, so she went to bed. When I woke up the next morning, I didn't even remember what day it was until Dylan got up and asked, "What did the Easter Bunny bring?"

Oops. I said, "Maybe the Easter Bunny is really sick and slept in..." Fortunately, the Easter Bunny had stashed three bags of goodies in her closet a week earlier, so she closed her bedroom door and made the magic happen. Better late than never, right?

Life changes, sometimes for better and sometimes not so much. I'll miss the fun of seeing my little ones stumble into the living room or kitchen and watching their sleepy eyes widen with wonder at the sight of a magically-filled stocking or basket. Still, I hear that those joys are only magnified when you get to enjoy them with grandchildren, so maybe the best is yet to come... 

No comments: