Sunday, October 27, 2019

THIRTY

Sarah got lots of fun gifts for her thirtieth birthday this weekend!

I know that most women my age have children who are in their forties, but it still feels odd that my firstborn is now thirty...as of today, October 27th. We celebrated her big day with a birthday dinner and party on Friday evening, two days ahead of her actual birthdate. It was made even more special when Jacob arranged to come up and join us, so all three siblings could celebrate together.

A huge bowl of Navopache Chicken Salad for dinner.

He didn't arrive until about 7:15, but dinner was all ready to dig in when he got here. Sarah had requested a Navopache Chicken Salad, so-called because I found the recipe on the back of our local electric co-op (called Navopache) way back when the kids were small. It's a chopped cabbage salad with lots of shredded chicken, green onions, sliced almonds, and sunflower seeds thrown in.

Some sugar-free Crystal Light to mix with sparkling sodas.

For a beverage, she asked for a Crystal Light-and-soda blend. We had a gallon of strawberry-watermelon flavor drink to be mixed with a variety of sodas, according to each person's desire.

Sarah's stack of gifts, waiting to be opened.

After dinner, Dylan showed us a new video game, a very-much-updated version of the old Wii Fit. This one is called Ring Fit, and it's quite a workout! After Dylan demonstrated it, Jacob and Chris took turns, and they were both sweating! And moaning. And groaning. I think I need to own one of these, maybe after we get through the Christmas season. They assure me that I can set it for the less taxing "out-of-shape old woman" setting.

October 25, 2019: Sarah reads the sweet card from her dad.

Then Dylan decided it was time for dessert, so he urged Sarah to open her presents. And she did.

A better look at the cards from Mom ("30" on left) and Dad.

Gifts from Sarah's brothers and her dad.

Dylan and Jake gave her two boxes of Atkins Nutty Fudge Brownie Bars, which are delicious. She's really been sticking to eating better and has lost about fifty pounds already!

Jacob gave her a twenty-dollar bill, and her dad gave her a box of Atkins Peppermint Patties and a Bluetooth speaker she can use to listen to Spotify around her house. Chris, who is a trained masseuse, gave Sarah her annual birthday massage (but not at the party...).

My gifts to Sarah.

As for me, I gave Sarah a novel called Mutts and Mistletoe, which combines the two things she loves most in a book or movie: dogs and love stories. In fact, Jake jokingly called it a Hallmark-Movie-in-Book-Form. I also gave her a Jim Shore figurine of Lady and the Tramp, which is her favorite Disney cartoon-film.

The homemade cheesecake Sarah requested.

For dessert, Sarah wanted my homemade cheesecake with ice cream, so I baked the cheesecake on Thursday night and topped it on Friday. Both the cheesecake and our ice cream were sugar-free (with full-sugar ice cream selections for the guys). In fact, while Mark and I were in Mesa earlier this week, I snagged a tub of no-sugar-added Breyers Salted Caramel Swirl ice cream, which isn't available here in our community. We love it when we can get it!

When I tried to get a pic of my boys together at Walmart, Dylan ducked...

The fun continued on Saturday. Jacob decided to stay until Sunday morning, which meant another family dinner on Saturday evening (yes!). The kids had agreed upon a menu after the party on Friday, so Jacob and I drove to Walmart to get the needed supplies on Saturday morning. As we walked toward the produce section, Dylan ran up behind us, trying to surprise us. He'd just started his break and happened to see us as we came in the entrance.

...and then Jacob hid behind his sweatpants purchase...

When we passed the men's clothing, Jacob decided he needed to buy a pair of sweatpants, since he'd brought only shorts with him and quickly realized it was too cold for that. He's become a "flat-lander" so quickly! While he shopped, I wanted a picture of both my sons together, but they made me work for it!

While we were checking out, Sarah saw us from her place in customer service and managed to grab a quick break to come over for a short visit. It's fun getting to see my kids when I go shopping!

...and then I managed to get them together!

We ended the day with a family dinner featuring a big baking dish of Chicken Parmesan and another of Jalapeno Popper Casserole. I made the first, Jacob made the second, and Sarah assisted us both.

It's true that building and preserving family relationships requires a lot of work and attention, as well as open communication, mutual honesty and trust, a willingness to apologize and forgive, and an effort to see the world as others do. It's not always an easy thing, but there truly is no other endeavor in life that pays more abundantly than this. Family is everything!

My two goofy boys, Jacob (age 28) and Dylan (age 22).

No comments: