Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Joy in the Journey

I love General Conference. This is the time when, twice a year, the priesthood and auxiliary leaders of Christ's church touch our hearts through the power of the Holy Spirit. I never fail to be uplifted.
*
Our prophet, Thomas S. Monson, concluded the Sunday morning session by speaking about change. He stressed that time never stands still, and in this mortal life "opportunities come, then they're gone. Rather than dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the here and now."
"Find joy in the journey, now," he admonished.
*
President Monson pointed out that we sometimes plan for an "elusive, nonexistent future" and forget to live today. He asked, "Will we choose to focus on what is missing from our lives, or be grateful for the abundance that's present?" We need to recognize "what is important and what is not," which "goes hand-in-hand with gratitude for our blessings." He reminded us that most of the important things in life involve the people around us: our family, our friends, and the many others who influence our lives for good.
*
I admit that when the responsibities of my life overwhelm me, I often play the little mindgame of "It will be easier when..." or "I'll have time (or sleep or energy or money) when..."
*
Then I stop and look at my 3 wonderful children and wonder why I'm wishing my life away. As President Monson said, too soon they will grow up and move on. Every moment with them is precious to me. I don't look forward to an empty nest.
*
I hope I'm preparing my children to be independent, productive adults who love the Lord. I do look forward to missions, temple marriages, careers, new homes, and especially grandchildren!
*
But then comes an evening when all three are away at various activities and I have the house to myself. At first I revel in the peaceful quiet and the rooms that stay clean for more than 5 minutes. I pick up a book or a long-neglected project. Then I begin to notice how I can hear my own footsteps and how every room is empty except the one in which I stand. I remember how hollow a clean house feels without a family around to make the messes.
*
I remember to find joy in the journey!
The previous Sunday, a young couple spoke in church of miracles and the Lord's tender mercies. It occurred to me that the gift of family is one of the greatest mercies of all. Miracles often happen through the powerful love of family and friends.
*
It's no coincidence that little Callie chose to stay in this mortal sphere while cradled in her mother's lap, waiting for an ambulance as her mother prayed over her in faith.

I love these pictures. The tenderness and concern in the faces of Callie's family mirror the love in their hearts.

Above is Dana, full of hope, with her miracle baby on Sept. 21. At right is Ashley (age 23), the oldest of Callie's seven older sisters, holding her youngest sibling on Sept. 20. Below, Jeff and Dana's firstborn, Justin (age 24) enjoys a moment with his sister on Sept. 23.

What amazing joy we have found in the remarkable journey of our Callie Jayne. She is more than a miracle; she is a pure expression of love, the love of our Heavenly Father for us and the love He inspires in us through family and friends as we pass through life's challenges. As difficult as our trials may be, they are a gift, a tender mercy, designed to refine our souls and bring us back to Heavenly Father's presence. I am grateful for all the blessings sent by a loving Father.

3 comments:

LORI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LORI said...

THANKS, MARY. I NEEDED A SPIRITUAL KICK IN THE PANTS TONIGHT. I WAS HAVING MY OWN PRIVATE PITY PARTY, AND AM GLAD TO SAY IT'S OVER NOW! ALL THE WHINE-O'S HAVE LEFT THE BUILDING, AND I AM INSTEAD SAYING A PRAYER OF GRATITUDE FOR THIS DAY AND ANY THAT ARE TO FOLLOW. HUGS AND KISSES TO ALL!

ashley b said...

Thanks Aunt Mary. All of your posts seem to pull all my emotions up to the surface these days. I did love President Monson's talk. I almost felt as though he was speaking directly to me. Thank you for reminding me again of those sweet urges he gave.