Saturday, October 11, 2008

White Mountain Weather

The leaves on our oaks haven't really turned yet, but the weather has definitely taken on a fall chill these past 2 weeks. One of the many things I love about our mountain home is having 4 distinct seasons. I love each one, and then I find I start itching for the next season just about the time it is due!

I thought I'd try attaching my first video clip, taken on my digital camera when I woke up this morning to more of the pouring rains and high winds (60 mph) that howled around the house all through the night and all through this morning. We'll see if the clip works. If it doesn't, no great loss--unless you just really love to watch wind and rain! I do love the sound of the windchimes in the background, though. Beautiful, random music to my ears . . .

The yellow straw all over our yard is actually fallen pine needles, dropping as the temperature drops. I've warned my kids to plan on being busy with raking on Monday or Tuesday. If the temp keeps falling and the moisture stays around, we could see the first snow soon. Monsoon season ended a month ago, so this much rain is unusual this time of year.

The rain was flowing sideways right into the rabbit hutch, so Sarah dragged the old cages out of the shed and put our bunnies--Cocoa, Likki, and Rosebud--on the porch, out of the elements.
*
Diego, our dog, kept checking on the bunnies. His herding instinct kicks in sometimes and he just wants to mother all of our pets!
*
The cats, Gandalf and Gimli, stayed warm and dry in the house all morning, sleeping the storm away. What a tough life!
*
For those of you who are watching Callie's progress, Dana has posted more happy news and sweet pictures on her blog, AND she is promising a video, when she figures out how to attach it. I think I got mine to work, so I hope she can, too. I can't wait to see it! Check out her blog by clicking on the Jeff & Dana link at left!

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

I loved seeing the rain and listening to the chimes. It was like I was there with you. Wish we had your weather! Also gives me hope that you will put more videos on your blog. :)