Monday, October 20, 2008

Little Drummer Boy

Dylan has worked hard to earn enough money to indulge his new passion. He bought a pair of drumsticks last month. Then he dragged me to Majestic Music this Saturday so he could buy the music book and CDs for drums. Next he'll purchase a drum pad to practice on, which should save wear and tear on my furniture and walls!
*
This is Dylan at the music store, where they let him try out a drum set. He was in heaven!
*
At school today his band teacher, Mr. Day, allowed him to practice on drums. Dylan was so thrilled. Sadly, I'm afraid his flute days are numbered. He plays so well and I love to hear the flute. The drums, not so much . . .
When I spoke to Mr. Day recently, he told me Dylan has a lot of natural musical ability and is progressing "head and shoulders above" the rest of the class. Dylan is anxious to learn ALL the instruments and even mentioned he might like to become a music teacher.
*
He did well on violin last year but decided he was more interested in band instruments. He even coaxed Grandma Kathy to get out her old clarinet a few weeks ago!
*
Jacob played violin for 3 years and then switched to guitar for a couple of years before he decided his favorite instrument was his iPod! We all had a good laugh when he tried the drums! The two boys above with my boys are Ben and Willy, sons of my friend Tawny, who teaches culinary arts at Show Low High. They spent the day with us while she attended a workshop.
Saturday was also the last day of soccer season--hooray! I love to watch my kids involved in good things like their sports and clubs and scouts and church, but I have to admit I enjoy the extra "me" time when a sports season comes to an end.
*
We won this game 4-1. It's been a good season. Dylan's team, White Chaos, only suffered 2 losses and 2 tie games. Most of all, he had a great time and developed his skills while making or strengthening friendships.
*
I also have to say how ecstatic I am that our blog family is growing! Recently 2 of my nephews and their wives--Jeremy and Cami and Justin and Alisha--started their own sites. I'm so excited to start following their blogs! (And tons of pictures, please; those babies grow up so fast!)
Now we just have to get my little sis Karla and my sister-in-law Tamera on board! And my nieces Genevieve and Elyssa and their hubbies Scott and Ross. And maybe even Grandpa and Kathy, what a great place to show off the grandkids and photos from your travels! (Hint! Hint!)
*
Much love to everyone!

3 comments:

LORI said...

OH MARY, I FEEL YOUR PAIN, SPECIFICALLY THAT OF YOUR EARDRUMS (NO PUN INTENDED). KATIE HAS TAKEN UP TRUMPET THIS YEAR, AND I NEVER THOUGHT I'D LONG FOR THE SOUND OF A BARNEY SING-A-LONG LIKE I DO! KIDDING OF COURSE, SO GLAD TO SEE ANY KID HAVE AN INTEREST IN MUSIC--MAKING IT, NOT JUST DOWNLOADING IT! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Grandma Honey said...

It is SO nice seeing pictures of your kids and the things you all do together. I feel like we are once again connected, and I love it. I have to also say that I'm loving the music you put on your blog! Den has been saying he could wire the computer speakers into the kitchen so I could hear music in there and I keep saying, "Oh no, it's not worth all that trouble." Well last night after hearing your music I am going to tell him today that IT is worth the trouble. Some of those really bring me back. I can still picture you and Karl (or was it Carl?) dancing to Crimson and Clover. I also think of you 2 every time I hear that one, "...I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes."

LORI said...

THANKS FOR THE COMMENT--LIKEWISE AND DITTO! GUESS WHAT? I AM SUCH A COMPUTER TROUBLE-SHOOTING GENIUS (OR I JUST GOT INCREDIBLY LUCKY, BUT I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S THE GENIUS THING...) I FIXED THE PROBLEM WITH MY BLOG. AS IT TURNS OUT, I SPELLED MY OWN BLOG NAME WRONG IN ONE PART OF "SETTINGS"--I LEFT OUT THE "DOUBLE"...MUST NOT HAVE HAD THE 2ND SHOT THAT DAY. ANYWHO, IT'S FIXED! TRY TO LINK ME AND LET ME KNOW! THANKS!