Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Concerning Hobbits...

...and Dwarves...and Wizards...and Elves...

Ah, yes, the Elves.  My favorite beings in all of Middle Earth.  I love them so much, in fact, that I am writing a trilogy of my own featuring Tolkien's Elves.  I haven't had much time to devote to this writing project since I remarried, but someday I hope to plunge back in and finish.

When I was young, I used to illustrate my own stories, but that was many years ago.  I never seem to have time for the sketching that I used to enjoy so much.  However, two years ago I got the itch to create a drawing of Legolas, one of Tolkien's Elves who features prominently in my tale.

So I bought a sketch pad and charcoal pencil and set to work, wondering if I still had the ability to bring a drawing to life.  I worked on this sketch (below) for several weeks, but I think it came out pretty well.  It features a scene from the first chapter in the second book.

"Wet Legolas" by Mary Carter

Here's an excerpt from that scene:

Keeping one arm around me, Legolas struck out for the slanted bench of smooth stone I favored.  He settled himself on the deepest edge, so the water continued to swirl around his shoulders, and pulled me up alongside him.  Then he pushed the long, clinging strands of wet hair back from my face and studied me thoughtfully.

“You are troubled,” he observed quietly.

"Melethwen and Legolas" by Mary Carter

Emboldened by my success with the first sketch, I went on to do a second drawing (above) featuring Legolas with Melethwen, the Elvish heroine of the trilogy.  And yes, Melethwen is my alter-ego.  Perhaps you have wondered where the name of my blog came from?  Now you know!

I'm not nearly as pleased with this sketch as I was the first (their embrace seems too stiff to be natural), but I guess it's not bad for a first effort after decades of no practice.

"Legolas" by Amelia Snow

This final drawing is precious!  One of my Beehives found it when her family moved and she had to pack up her bedroom.  Knowing of my love for the Elves of Middle Earth, she presented it to me (and gave me permission to post it on my blog).  I was very touched by her gesture.  She says she drew it a long time ago.  She must have been pretty young at the time (she's only 13 now), so I am quite impressed by the quality of her work!  She is a kindred spirit, who not only draws but writes stories as well!

No comments: