Monday, April 23, 2012

Sunday Cookies

Dylan (age 14) and his tray of cookies.

Yesterday Dylan came home from church with a hankering for peanut butter cookies.  So we looked up some recipes that used ingredients we had on hand and chose a simple one.  It was quite impromptu.

I had other things to do, so I turned Dylan loose in the kitchen. He has never been very interested in baking or cooking of any kind. Even slapping together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich requires more energy than he cares to exert most of the time.

Besides, Jacob was always the family chef. Dylan's older brother loves to tinker in the kitchen, trying out new recipes and surprising us with his culinary delights. We've missed that since he left on his mission almost 17 months ago!


Dylan was almost shocked by his success with this batch of cookies.  They came out perfectly!  He has made no-bake chocolate cookies (cocoa, oatmeal, peanut butter) on several occasions, but he's never felt they turned out very well.  This time he was flush with success on his first try with a new recipe!

Mmmm, good!

Ordinarily Dylan is camera-shy and I have to plead to get him to pose for me.  This time, though, he was happy to oblige me.  He wanted me to attach these pictures to the email I sent his missionary brother last night, so Jacob will know there's another baker in the family!

No comments: