Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks

Before the feasting begins tomorrow, I wanted to reflect on a few of the many blessings in my life that I will be counting quietly on Thanksgiving Day.
I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who has a plan of happiness for us, His children. I'm grateful for His Son, Jesus Christ, who did His Father's will and atoned for my sins, suffering all my individual trials and afflictions, and dying so I can live forever in His light. I'm grateful that He knows me and is patient with me, that He does not expect me to be perfect today, but asks only that I keep following in His paths the best I can.
*
Most pictures depict the Savior as solemn, sad, or even tormented. I imagine that throughout most of His life He had a joyful, warm, welcoming smile to share when He served His Father and ministered to His followers. He loves us!
*
I am thankful that families are an important part of the Father's divine plan and that He has prepared a way for us to be together for eternity. I cannot believe that the bonds of love we cherish in this life will not exist in the next. I'm grateful for the love I've experienced and I'm grateful that one day all the people of earth will see past our perceived differences and recognize that we are all brothers and sisters in the family of God.
I am SO thankful for my 3 children, Sarah, Jacob, and Dylan. I can't even imagine what my life would be like without them. It is such a privilege to be a mother, one of the greatest blessings of my life.
*
This was taken just after sunset on New Years Day 2004. My kids were playing in the waves at Oceanside, CA. I am also grateful for the breathtaking beauty of this amazing planet the Lord has given us to dwell upon.
I am thankful for the family I grew up in: my talented, hard-working dad, Myron; my mom, Jane, who loved being a homemaker; my 3 brothers, LeRoy, Jeff, and Darryl, who always make life so entertaining; and my sister Karla, who has become one of my truest friends. I'm also grateful for my step-mom, Kathy, who keeps my dad on his toes!
*
Photo, left to right: Jeff, Darryl, me, Dad, and LeRoy on Memorial Day 2004.
*
I am thankful for my brother-in-law Brian, with whom I've had so many interesting discussions, and my 3 wonderful sisters-in-law, Lori, Dana, and Tamera, who have become like sisters to me.
*
At left are Lori and Dana on my dad's back porch on Labor Day 2005. Below is Tamera and a couple of her granddaughters on Memorial Day 2004.
I am thankful for my many nieces and nephews, ranging in age from 26 years t0 21 months old. They were "Aunt Mary's kids," bringing joy to my life long before I had my own children. I am grateful to be able to watch all 32 of them as they grow up and begin families of their own.
*
I am grateful for the power of faith and prayer that brought miracles of healing to my nephew Josh and, most recently, my niece Callie. I'm grateful for the many people who extended their love to an entire family, many of them strangers to us, to join us in prayer and to offer service. I'm also thankful for the miracles of comfort and peace when we lose those we love, like our sweet Rhionna.
I am thankful for a lifetime of good friends who have been there for me through every sort of crisis as well as the good times.
*
At left is me with my best friend, Peggi (visiting from California) and my sister Karla at the Mesa Temple in July 2005. Below is me with another best friend, Gwen, at Sarah's violin performance in February 2008.
These wonderful friends include Peggi, who I've known since 7th grade, with whom I stalked the Osmond Brothers in 1972-74; Jill, who I've known since 4th grade, who helped get me through early morning seminary; Joan, whose children I babysat for many years, from whom she's now been blessed with 3 beautiful grandchildren; Gwen, who I met just 2 years ago but I know has been my sister-friend since the spirit-world; Wyndie, with whom I share the ups and downs of teaching high schoolers and running the Primary; Vicky, who taught me about strength and grace under pressure, and Vicki, who still teaches me about living by faith; Julie, who suffered through the single years with me; Rhona, who introduced me to Japanese culture by getting me a job in a Japanese factory 1978-1980;
Linda, whose sense of humor saw me through my years as an instructional aide; and Sue, that wild and crazy gal who showed me how to laugh at myself. That's just to name a few!
*
My apologies if I inadvertently left anyone unnamed. Please know that every friend is beautiful and precious to me, and I will forever treasure the memories we've made together.

And there are so many more blessings to express my gratitude for. The general safety and overall health of my family and friends; our cozy home; our beloved pets; a never-a-dull-moment job that not only provides for my family but allows me to be home when my kids are at home; and the opportunities brought on by the challenges of life.
*
There is no way to name every good thing in my life, but for each blessing I give thanks!

3 comments:

LORI said...

I AM TRULY GRATEFUL TO CALL YOU SISTER, MARY! WHAT A WONDERFUL TRIBUTE TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS, AND TO GOD!

ashley b said...

That was such a sweet post. I am glad to be one of "Aunt Mary's kids" and thankful for you and your family! We love you guys!

JDButler Family said...

so sweet! I Love You Mary