Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Honoring Our Veterans

Veteran's Day was an ordinary day at our house. I surprised the kids with biscuits and gravy for breakfast, but we spent the morning cleaning house before I released my self-professed "slaves" to spend time with their friends.
*
While I worked, I thought about the men and women this holiday honors. Our veterans are anything but ordinary, and I'm proud to count many among my own family.
Today I'd like to honor my uncles who served our country. I only wish I had pictures for each one.
*
This is my dad's older brother, Uncle Ernie. He served in the Marines as a turret gunner on a TBF (Dad says it's a type of warplane) in World War II. Ernie survived to marry Aunt Alma and have 5 children. They still live in California.
*
My mom's older brother, Uncle LeRoy, served in the Army during the Korean War. He was stationed in the Orient and sent exotic gifts home to my mother, who was a teen. LeRoy returned to marry Aunt Betty and help raise her son and their 2 daughters. They also live in CA.
This is Uncle Johnny, who married Dad's sister, Aunt LouDene. During World War II Johnny served in the Military Police and then later in the Army's 8th Air Force in England. He and LouDene raised three children in California, then later moved to his home state of Texas. Johnny passed away in the 1990s, but LouDene still lives in Texas at the age of 82. In fact, she surprised me with a call one night last week. I loved talking to her!
*
My Uncle Elmer and my Uncle Max also served in the Army during World War II. Uncle Elmer was in the Military Police. He married Aunt Jean, another of Dad's eight older sisters, and they raised three kids. Elmer passed away just a few years ago but Jean still lives in California.
*
*
Uncle Max married Aunt Irene (yep, you guessed it: my dad's sister!) and they raised eight children in Utah. They have both passed on.
*
I have many cousins who have served over the years, but I don't dare name them for fear of missing someone. Let's just say I am proud of each and every one for their selfless sacrifices. Our family has been so blessed in the fact that all returned to us safe and sound.

My step-mom's family has also provided many fine servicemen over the years. Here we see Kathy's late husband, Jim Stringer, receiving his lieutenant bars when he transferred from the Air Force to the Army as an officer. The lovely lady at his side is my step-mom, Kathy.

Two of her sons also served. Donald (at left) was in the National Guard. Joel (at right) was a Seaman Recruit.
*
*
Our family expresses our pride in the fine men and women in uniform, wherever they serve, and our prayers for their peace and safety go with them. Thank you all for protecting our freedoms at home and abroad! God bless you!

No comments: