Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Snow

We're having a white Christmas! It started snowing heavily late Monday afternoon. I'd just finished up a nearly 3-hour marathon Christmas shopping spree (nothing like waiting until the last minute!) and when I came out of WalMart it was like the scene from the old TV show Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer when the storm of the century hit. A cloud had settled on the mountain and the wind was blowing the snow sideways, making visibility poor.
*
I'm grateful that the shopping is now done, the packages are wrapped and placed under the tree, and we can enjoy the beautiful white landscape through the windows from the warm interior of our home.
The next morning we had about 10 inches of snow on the ground. Since I had a dermatologist appointment at 9am, I ventured forth to check the depth myself. The snow kept falling into the tops of my knee-high boots! Needless to say, I'll be rescheduling the appointment.
*
Jacob and Dylan and their friends have had a good time sledding and having snowball fights.
There's no new snow today, but so far 3 trucks have gotten stuck in the drifts in front of our house.
*
The forecast calls for more snow tomorrow and Friday, so a white Christmas it will be. The best part is, there should still be snow on the ground when Karla's and LeRoy's families join us for New Years Day. It's so much fun when the cousins play in the snow together.
*
For all the fun and beauty of snowfall, I'm also grateful for the blessing it is to our area. Our winters have been mild for several years now, leading to drought conditions and increasing our risk for forest fires.
*
This winter has brought the kind of moisture we used to enjoy. It reminds me that there are many, many things to give thanks for this Christmas season! May we all keep our eyes open to the bounteous blessings we enjoy every day!

3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Wow! This is sure not the way you grew up! Would you believe that we might get snow tomorrow?? yeah right, but that is what they are forecasting. I would love it. Even a little bit. But for now I will just enjoy your pictures.

LORI said...

I HOPE THE TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE GOOD ENOUGH FOR US TO MAKE IT UP TO YOU GUYS! WE'LL WATCH THE WEATHER REPORTS!

L3TitBL33D said...

yep, you got snow, we are getting 67 degrees today. Oh well, we'll probably get an ice storm in January again....Luv ya