Friday, December 5, 2008

'Tis the Season

December has arrived and the Christmas season has begun. (Although in stores it seems to have begun the day after Halloween!)
*
I have typed up and printed a test copy of my annual Christmas newsletter and purchased this year's Christmas cards. My children have completed most of their Christmas shopping and I haven't even started. We hope to have a Christmas tree soon to place their gifts under.
*
This scene featuring Joseph and Mary is found on the grounds of the Mesa AZ Temple at Christmas time. It looks so real to me.
*
On Tuesday was the Relief Society Christmas Fiesta. They fed us a traditional Mexican dinner of enchiladas, tamales, beans and rice, horchata, and a sweet fruit dessert, after which we enjoyed a short program. Yummy!
*
This is me with my friend Wyndie. Now you can see what she looks like without the gun, the computer, and the tacky dress. (tee hee)
Tonight was our ward Christmas party. More yummy stuff! They served more than a dozen homemade soups with homemade rolls, followed by musical entertainment, the Christmas story presented by the children, homemade cookies, and a visit from Santa.
*
This is my friend Gwen, who is trying to recover from pneumonia. Gwen is a real southern belle, accent and all.
Here are my boys enjoying their meal with Gwen, whom they've adopted as their "Aunty Gwen." Sarah was unable to join us tonight because she was babysitting and doing her humanities homework.
*
I truly love the spirit of Christmas. I cherish our family traditions, the good will of strangers sharing the joy of the season, the hustle and bustle of shopping and plotting surprises, and the desire to stretch a little to help and bless others.
Above all, I love remembering the humble beginning of the greatest life this world has ever known, the quiet birth of Jesus Christ, who came to do what no one else could--simply because He loves us.
*
As we enjoy the fun of the holiday season, may we always keep in mind "the reason for the season" and hold His peace in our hearts.

2 comments:

LORI said...

I TOO LOVE THE SEASON--LOVE IS IN THE AIR! (EXCEPT SOMETIMES AT WALMART...)

Grandma Honey said...

I love the dinner menu you had at the RS party. And it was fun seeing a picture of Wyndie after all this time. And may I say that I am very much looking forward to your annual Christmas letter.