Saturday, December 27, 2008

Farewell, Rosebud

Our sweet Rosebud passed away tonight.
*
Sarah had noticed a few days ago that she wasn't eating or drinking much, so she brought her inside to warm her up and hand-feed her some of her favorites, like carrots.
*
I think Rosie knew, though, that her time was almost over. She didn't seem to be in pain, just weary. She was 5 1/2 years old, a good old age for a rabbit.
*
We're blessed that she spent her last Christmas with us. In fact, on Christmas Eve our friend Gwen sat and cuddled her for a very long time, taking comfort in Rosebud's super-soft mini-rex fur. A true velveteen rabbit.

A little while ago Sarah brought her in, wrapped warmly in a soft towel. Jacob teared up a little and left the room. We all grieve in different ways.
*
Sarah, Dylan, and I cried and hugged each other and talked about how Heavenly Father loves the animals of the earth. Dylan was especially distressed about how he will miss Rosie. I reminded him that animals have spirits, too, and right now Rosebud is in a place where her spirit is free and happy.
*
I believe we'll be reunited one day with all the pets we loved so well. Those bonds of love will continue into the eternities. (I can't imagine my mom being happy in any form of heaven without her beloved dogs!)
*
There is a risk in choosing to love, I told my son. Yet how empty and cold our lives are if we close our hearts against love because we fear the pain of loss.
*
We are richer for having loved our sweet Rosebunny. Until we meet again, our memories of her soft nuzzles and gentle nature will warm our hearts. We will miss you, Rosie girl!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. I feel that animals have souls to, I look forward to be reunited with all of my lost loved ones someday too. This was very inspiring to read Mary it made my day!

Nicole

LORI said...

ON TO BUNNY HEAVEN, ROSEBUD, WHERE THE CARROTS GROW FREE AND BUNNIES RUN AND PLAY!