Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Double Nickels

My thanks to everyone who sent cards, e-cards, emails, blog comments, Facebook comments, phone calls, and other birthday wishes my way.
*
All that positive energy and love took the sting out of turning 55 today!
*
Well, most of the sting. My son Jacob helpfully reminded me this morning, "Well, Mom, at least you're old enough to get senior discounts now!"
*
Sigh...
*
He redeemed himself at school today. With the help of my wonderful colleagues, Michele and Nicole, he lured me out of my classroom and I returned to find my desk covered with gifts.

*
There was a Tasmanian Devil balloon tied to a large jar of lavender bath salts, and a carton of devils food chocolate cream rolls. Mmmm!
*
And then there were these beautiful pink roses, a dozen of them. I couldn't wait to get them home and put them in a vase.
*
My children always treat me well on my birthday, but this was the first time Jacob had ever thought to do something like this on his own. It was so very sweet to me.
My special day wouldn't be complete without a visit to the cardiologist! Luckily my 1:30 appt. was fairly short.
*
He said my current heart rhythms are normal, reminded me to get more exercise and lose weight, doubled my anti-arrhythmia medication dosage, and scheduled an echocardiogram and stress test.
I returned to school and finished the day, staying until 4:30 while my sons attended the weekly Big Brothers-Big Sisters activity.
*
We barely got home in time to trade the car off to Sarah, who has her college composition and biology classes on Tuesday evenings.
*
I walked in to find she'd made this banner and taped it to the fireplace.
Before she left for class, Sarah insisted that I open the wrapped gifts she had hidden away for me.
*
She knows the way to my heart!
*
I'm a huge fan of the old Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series, and Sarah bought me the 6th season DVD collection. Now I only need seasons 5 and 7!
She also got me the sweet little Willow Tree figurine, "Kindness." It makes the 7th little girl in my adored Willow Tree collection.
*
Around dinner time my dad and step-mom came by to bring me a birthday card, and they stayed to visit for awhile. They'd just returned from visiting family in Fresno, CA. Hard to believe my dad will be 75 on Friday!
Then my friends Wyndie, Gwen, and Charla whisked me away for a girls' night out. We went to catch a movie at the local theater.
*
I'm not really into "chick flicks." I love to see science fiction, fantasy, and adventure movies. Sometimes a little comedy if it isn't too raunchy.
*
I suppose The Time Traveler's Wife is something of a chick flick, but I am totally intrigued by the idea of time travel so I wanted to see it. It was practically a whole new genre: romatic sci fi! I truly enjoyed every minute of this movie.
*
However, our opinions of the movie ranged from my loving it, to Charla's "I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would."
Despite our varying reactions, we all had a great time. We stayed out way too late, talking and laughing.
*
Here we are in the lobby after the movie. L to R: Charla, Gwen, Mary, and Wyndie.
*
It was a great birthday, thanks to all of you who continually make me feel loved and cared for.
*
I love you all!

3 comments:

ashley b said...

sounds like a great birthday! and i'm glad to hear that you liked that movie. i have really been wanting to see it for a while but haven't made it yet. and you look awesome at 55. seriously would never guess that if i didn't know!

Scott and Genevieve said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a fun day. I am trying to get Scott to see The Time Traveler's Wife with me!

Grandma Honey said...

I find it interesting, and intriguing, why some kids are so thoughtful to their moms, and others are not. You obviously raised them right. They treat you well.
Happy to hear your heart is beating better now.