Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rorschach Test

My aide and friend, Wyndie, erased the chalkboard yesterday, leaving this smudge. At the end of the day I glanced over and was surprised to see the art she had unintentionally created there.
*
I see a young black boy's profile in silhouette. His neck is at bottom left; at right are his chin, lips, nose, brow, and hairline.
*
What do you see in this chalk-smudge? I'd love to hear about other images!
*
On the homefront, I'm happy to report that Dylan is making progress. He has missed 2 days of school and will probably miss tomorrow, as well, but his temperature is remaining below 100 degrees now. As long as we can keep him resting (a real challenge), I'm confident he will make a full recovery.
*
As for me, I received the results of all my cardiology tests this afternoon. The good news: my heart is in pretty good shape. I have a slightly leaky valve, which so far isn't a problem and can be reversed, and my heart's pumping action runs about 50-55% capacity whereas a perfectly healthy heart runs at about 55-60%. All good for my age!
*
The bad news: when they took my blood pressure, it was in "stroke" range: 189/104.
*
During the past 10 years my blood pressure has been strongly affected by stress, and the past month has been incredibly stressful. Even so, my most highly stressed readings rarely surpass 140/90.
*
Now Dr. Meman wants to treat my hypertension aggressively by adding a new drug to control the blood pressure while quelling the arrhythmia.
*
Unfortunately, the combination of medications I'll be taking are potentially dangerous, so I'll be doing it on a trial basis for 10 days. After that I'll wear a Holter Monitor for 24 hours to see if it's helping or hurting my heart. Will the good times never end?
*
Meanwhile--no surprise--I was lectured about the need to get more exercise and lose weight. He dropped the word-bomb "morbidly obese" at least 3 times during our visit. I am definitely too sedentary, but if he's imagining me gorging on sweets and other decadent foods, he's wrong. I eat regular-sized meals and choose healthy foods 99% of the time. I've been knocking myself out trying to lose weight since New Years. The doctor has no idea how frustrating this is. He did admit that peri-menopause and my medications are making it near-impossible to lose weight, but he told me I MUST keep at it or my heart will not stay as healthy as it is.
*
And so I got a little kick in the pants today. He is absolutely right. Even if I never lose another pound, exercise and a healthy diet can only benefit my heart and lower my blood pressure, hopefully decreasing my need for drugs.
*
All in all, I feel the news was positive. There are issues, but they can be dealt with and mended. I fully expect to be around to enjoy my beautiful grandchildren someday!

4 comments:

LORI said...

WE TAKE THE GOOD, WE TAKE THE BAD, WE TAKE THEM BOTH AND THERE WE HAVE...THE FACTS OF LIFE! JUST FELT LIKE QUOTING A SITCOM RIGHT THEN! GLAD FOR THE POSITIVES, AND I GUESS WE CAN SAY AT LEAST YOU ARE LEARNING EVERYTHING WHILE YOUR HEART IS STILL HEALTHY!

L3TitBL33D said...

hey mar at least u got some good news, I think it's about time u get a Gazelle :) anyhoo, I just had my yearly echo and I got some good news to, I went from 30% to 60% pump from exercising and my coreg, do u take a beta blocker or are u only on a ace inhibitor? anyway, I couldn't work out because my blood pressure and pulse would drop after 10 to 15 min. on the Gaz so that's why I went for an echo, they said it's most likely my BP and Pulse drop because of the coreg if I lighten up on my exercise for just a second (I might not realize it). My vitals at high on the treadmill was 189/94 pulse 162 and 60 seconds after they took echo's my vitals were already down to 132/82 pulse 108. It's a trip to be panting and that quickly i'm not :) Remember the three "E"s Exercise, Exercise, Exercise ='s burnt calories Love ya Fight the good fight ( sorry if none of this makes sense ha ha )

Grandma Honey said...

I've been cleaning out files this week and I found this one paper on what my son calls heart jumps...the heart arrhythmia. It has a natural cure this one woman found so I need to scan it and send it to you. I don't know if it's exactly what you have, but you might want to read it. I have trouble with that every now and then. Good your dr says your heart is seeming to do well, except for the blood pressure.

Mary said...

Thanks, I'll be interested in seeing the cure. I'll be looking for to it!