Friday, October 23, 2009

A Grand Nephew

Tonight was the BIG football game between Show Low and Blue Ridge High Schools. Pretty much everyone I know in town was there. Not me. Given the intensity of the rivalry between the two schools on the football field, and given my loyalty to Blue Ridge, and given my pride in my nephew Marcus who plays for Show Low, and given the fact that I'm supposed to keep my blood pressure down, I opted to stay home.
My nephew Justin and his wife Alisha didn't want to miss the game, of course, but their 15-month-old Aiden has a little head-cold and couldn't be out in the chilly weather. I was so happy to help them out and have my little grand-nephew as a guest for the evening!
*
At first he was a little shy. He doesn't know Great-Aunt Mary too well, and he'd never met Diego before. I settled him with a bowl of honey-nut Cheerios and Sarah surrounded him with toys. She chose to stay home and enjoy Aiden with me rather than going to the game.
It didn't take Aiden too long to get comfortable with the Cheerios and toys! Meanwhile, Diego was on his best behavior, eyeing the Cheerios longingly from a safe distance, but waiting patiently.
Poor Aiden! He hadn't had a nap and he clearly didn't feel well, but he was still happy and active and determined to stay awake. Every now and again he'd start to nod off, but he'd force those eyes back open. He was up and on the go for more than 3 hours.
After he rolled around in the spilled cheerios for awhile, Aiden explored every inch of the living room. Diego followed him around, hoping those clingy Cheerios would fall off the clothes and onto the floor.
They got to be good buddies, and Aiden enjoyed alternately feeding Diego from his little fist and teasing Diego by holding it out, but then quickly putting it in his own mouth.
Aiden emptied a laundry basket full of jackets and beach towels. I noticed he was rubbing his face in the plush towels and I thought he was getting close to losing the battle against sleep. Not even close.
*
Then he discovered the silky-soft stadium blankets I keep folded in a pile on the hearth behind a chair. He kept crawling back in that corner to roll in the blankets. So I picked up Aiden and a blanket, put him on the ground with his head on a towel, and covered him with the blanket.
That did it. He kept his eyes open for nearly 15 minutes before succumbing to sleep, but he never moved. He loved the feel of that blanket wrapped warmly around him. He was still there, all snug, when his parents returned at 10:00.
*
As for the big game, I'm happy to say that Blue Ridge remains undefeated. I'm also glad to report that my nephew Marcus was unstoppable and played a great game; Justin tells me they announced him as the "Master Blocker"! All those young players play hard and play to win. Good job to both the purple-and-gold and the green-and-gold athletes!

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

Ahh there's nothing like a baby in the house...