Saturday, November 14, 2009

Apache Girl

Since our town is near the White Mountain Apache reservation, we have many students of Native American descent. They dress, talk, and act just like all teenagers do and in general blend in with the rest of the student body. They participate in sports and clubs and hang out with friends and get after-school jobs. Typical teen stuff.
*
But I like when their culture comes to school with them. My own heritage is pretty much Heinz 57: English, Irish, German, Dutch, French, a smidge of Spanish. I embrace every line with pride, but there's always been just a little extra pride in being descended from my Cherokee great-grandmother, Nancey Ellen Simpson of Oklahoma. I have a special place in my heart for Native American culture.
*
*
My students likewise embrace their heritage. Occasionally this student, Asia, wears traditional Apache dress to school, and she graciously allowed me to photograph her.
*
Above is the casual dress typically worn by Apache women. We see them in town all the time and I hear they are extremely comfortable. (Although Asia says the mocassins are painful when walking on gravel!) You can click on the photos to see the beautiful turquoise jewelry and beadwork on the mocassins.
*
My Uncle Ernie and Aunt Alma served a mission on the nearby Apache reservation back when we first moved to this area, 1990-91. Aunt Alma was given several of these dresses as gifts and wore them often.
*
Ever since then, I've longed to own at least one such dress myself, but unfortunately they can't be bought off the rack at WalMart or Fashion Bug. Traditionally they are made by the older women who pass on the skill to their daughters and granddaughters.
*
At right, Asia is modeling a traditional ceremonial dress worn for such events as the Apache Sunrise Ceremony, which celebrates a young girl becoming a woman. The metal attachments tinkle against each other, producing a sound like light rainfall on a tin roof.
*
I feel it is so important for all of us to honor our heritage and celebrate the cultures and accomplishments of our ancestors. These youth are a great example for honoring their heritage so well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I laughed at the ‘Heinz 57’ metaphor you used, Mary! =D I also believe that we need to acknowledge our ancestors. Learn about the influences that molded their history and culture. Regarding the dress, I know a place where they have all sorts of native American clothing and Cowboy clothing.

Aidan Mcneill

Donna Whitefeather said...

I just love your blog.I want to know more about the
Being a Apache. I was adopted but my mother told me that I was Apache the women at the Catholic Welfare Society one of the women told my mom and dad she lost her job
Write back donna.barath@gmail.com.