Sunday, November 8, 2009

HCG: Week One

Last Sunday I committed an act of desperation. I started the HGC diet.
*
Let's be clear: I do not endorse this diet. I don't believe such severe calorie restrictions or extreme low-fat diets are healthy.
*
On the other hand, I do feel the HCG diet is a safer option than stomach stapling/re-sections, lap-bands, mouth-wirings, and tongue patches, which restrict calories much longer and include surgery and sometimes emotional trauma.
Besides all that, the HCG diet works.
*
This really was a choice of last resort. After the dust settled from my cardiology adventures, three things were clear: 1) I had to get off the newest of the 3 blood pressure meds I was taking due to possibly dangerous side effects; 2) I had to bring down my blood pressure to accomplish #1; and 3) I needed to lose weight, at least 20 lbs, in order to accomplish #2.
*
I got right to work. For 5 weeks I was stellar. Not a drop of sugar, white flour, or starchy vegetables passed my lips. I focused on healthy fats, proteins, and nutrient-dense vegetables and fruits. I ate smaller meals throughout the day to keep my blood sugar stable. I tried to walk every day.
*
*
I lost 7 lbs the first 2 weeks. Four of those pounds were water weight, of course, but I was pleased. Then it stopped cold. I persevered faithfully. I reached the point where my appetite decreased, which happens naturally with controlled-carb eating, but even with much smaller meals the scale still wouldn't budge. I bounced up and down, back and forth, in the same 2-lb. range.
*
I knew why I was stuck.
*
*
For several years I've been on 2 blood pressure medications that cause weight gain, but I could still lose weight by controlling my carbs. It was harder, but it worked... slowly... Now I'm on a third med that also causes weight gain, plus Dr. Memon doubled the dosage of one of my original prescriptions. He himself admitted that it will now be "almost impossible" to lose weight, though I still needed to "work at it."
I see now that I can maintain my weight by eating right, but to achieve my 3 goals required LOSS of weight. I was so frustrated and becoming depressed. I began to pray for an answer.
*
One day my cardiologist's office staff called. A nutritionist was coming to town to supervise a weight loss program involving B12 shots and 500 calories a day for 40 days. I'd lose about a pound a day.
*
Was I interested? I was, but they never called back. Then at church 2 weeks ago, someone told me how she had lost 36 lbs in 40 days on the HCG diet after her last baby was born.
*
I put 2+2 together and realized this was the same diet the nutritionist was promoting. I also remembered that my sister-in-law Dana had done this diet back around March and tried to convince Sarah and me to join her. I rejected it as unsafe, but Dana and several members of her immediate and extended families had done it and lost tons of weight. They still look great.
*
I spent 3 hours online researching HCG and the diet and the doctor who developed it. I realized I was just desperate enough to give it a try. It seemed my only option, though I wasn't sure I could afford $285 for the nutritionist or $40 per bottle of HCG to do it myself. I was still praying.
*
Later that day I had a chiropractor appointment. I told Dr. Butler what I had decided to do, and he told me both ladies in his front office had recently started the diet. Jackie had lost 6 lbs in 5 days and Sandi had lost 12 in 10 days. They were very excited and, better yet, knew where to get the HCG for just $25 per bottle. It seemed to me that the Lord had placed all these big red arrows in my path, leading me to my answer. I made the call that same night.
*
Sarah and I started the diet last Sunday, November 1st. Unbelievably, in just 7 days Sarah has lost 13 lbs and I have lost 12 lbs. The change is already noticeable in our clothing.
*
*
For Sarah it has been smooth sailing. For me, it has been a challenge due to my arrhythmia, so I'm still working on adjusting the diet to my needs. I have spoken to my family doctor, who doesn't recommend the diet but feels I'll be okay as long as I stop at the 40-day mark. No problem. Believe me, I can't wait to get back to eating real meals!
*
Meanwhile, my blood pressure is already dropping. I finally feel my goals are achievable!
*
Next week: More on the diet and how it works.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please give me the phone number of the lady that sells this stuff. Cole867@gmail.com please email me this information I am at home with a sinus infection.

Thanks