Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Back in Cowboy Country


18 June 2010 - Kicking back at home in Lakeside:
Caryl, Dylan, and Sarah watch while Ed rocks on Guitar Hero!
*
After 5 wonderful days at home in Pinetop-Lakeside, Ed and I headed back to Wyoming yesterday. Due to various errands I had to run before we left, we didn’t get on the road until after 10:00 a.m. It was about 1:00 this morning when Ed and I arrived back at the Cheyenne apartment, and it was after 2:00 a.m. when we finally went to sleep. Needless to say, I am very tired today!
*
Somehow this drive seemed even longer than the last one. It was especially hard on poor Caryl, my 75-year-old mother-in-law. She handled the drive to Arizona pretty well, but the return trip really wore on her.
*
Crossing the border from New Mexico into “Colorful Colorado.”
*
It was a tough decision, but we decided to allow Dylan to stay at home with Sarah and Jacob this week, rather than making him come to Wyoming with us again. He’d handled his first week here well, but the second week was tough on him. He was growing quite homesick for his siblings and his dog, which made him cranky.
*
Since we’ll only be gone for 4 days this time, it’s a good test of how well my children can get along in our absence! Still, I must say it feels mighty odd to be here without my youngest child. The apartment feels strangely empty with just Ed and me.
*
Crossing from Colorado into Wyoming about 10 miles from Caryl’s Colorado house.
Since it was dark when we arrived last night, I shot this picture today.
*

Ed spent today fine-tuning the truck (new fuel injectors, new brakes, and new temperature gauge) and driving his mom to do errands in nearby Fort Collins. Tonight we got started on packing up the apartment, getting everything ready to load into a big trailer that his bishop offered to loan us for our move.
*
We hope to have everything loaded and ready to go by tomorrow night so we can get a good night’s sleep and then head back toward home early Thursday morning.
*
By the way, yesterday was Ed’s and my first anniversary. First month, that is. And they said it wouldn’t last!

1 comment:

Jill Shelley said...

So is Caryl coming back with you to stay? She looks like such a sweet lady.

This post reminded me of when Den and I got married. Right after the big day in LA, Brock (22)took McKay and Tyler (15 and 13) back home and they were together for a week without me while I was on my honeymoon. I felt like I was making them all grow up over night.