Sunday, October 2, 2011

Shattered Glass


On my way home from work on Wednesday, I stopped by the post office to drop some mail in the outside mailbox.  I rolled down my electric window, slid the mail through the mailbox slot, and pressed the button to bring the window back up.

The window stopped when it was only halfway up, and refused to go any further.  I noticed the glass had slipped out of its correct position, so I decided to leave it alone and have Ed look at it when I got home.  I drove the remaining two miles home and went into the house.

I'd been in the house only a few minutes, standing in the kitchen quizzing Dylan about whether his homework was done, when I heard the sound of a small explosion.  I glanced out the window just in time to see a shower of blue-green glass falling like glittering rain around the driver-side door.


It wasn't until later that I realized how blessed I had been to make it all the way home before the glass shattered.  Most of the glass blew into the car, landing on the driver's seat where I had been sitting.  Ed says it would have sliced me up good.  Although it is "safety glass," I found out while cleaning up the mess that the edges of the pieces were still quite sharp.  Thus I am very grateful to my Heavenly Father for watching over me and keeping me safely in His care for another day.

No comments: