Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Seventh Season

It seems like we just finished up soccer season, and here it is Little League time again! Dylan is heading into his 7th year of baseball, America's favorite pastime.
*
Yesterday I took Dylan to his try-outs at Mountain Meadow and shot a few pictures of him, well, trying out. The 35 or so kids had to bat, run bases, and catch both grounders and pop-up flies while the coaches from the major teams watched and took notes. Pretty stressful for these young guys.
*
Dylan did very well. He is, of course, his own worse critic and only remembers every little mistake he made. I was able to tell him honestly that only a few of the boys performed better than he did.
*
As for me, I stood at the fence with my camera and cheered him on. It was a sunny day with a bright blue sky overhead and just a few whisps of cloud here and there.
*
I got my first sunburn of the season. Only a light one, thankfully. I've got to start remembering that sunscreen!
*
But the wind! In grade school I remember learning the line "March roars in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." So far this month it's been true! While watching Dylan, my hair was whipped into criss-crossing knots that had to be ripped rather than combed from my hair.
*
*
I actually love the wind. My sinuses and my hair aren't too crazy about it, but I love the sound of wind rustling in the pines and the feel of it in my hair.
*
I especially love when it howls around my house and sets all my wind chimes off on a random, tinkling melody--exactly like it is doing tonight!
*
Now the try-outs are over and we have to let the chips fall where they may. Dylan and I had our little talk about the pros and cons of staying in the minors where he'll get more play time and being drafted up to the majors. (You can guess which he is hoping for.)
*
In a few weeks we'll know which team he's on and who his coaches and teammates are. And we will once again spend several evenings each week at the Little League field, proudly cheering on our young athlete.
*
Bring it on!

3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Of course you stood by the fence with your camera. That's the kind of mother you are! I love the also the honest dialogue you have with him after the game.
I know just what you mean about the wind. When I hear my wind chimes going it is a reminder that our air is getting cleaner!...something you probably don't have to worry as much about as we do living here in this valley.
Keep us updated on Dylan and how it goes after tryouts.

Scott and Genevieve said...

Sounds like fun! Good luck to him!

LORI said...

GOOD LUCK TO DYLAN, HOPE HE'S HAPPY WITH WHATEVER THE PLACEMENT! THE WIND HAS BEEN CRAZY HERE TOO--WE LEFT OUR WINDOWS OPEN FOR SOME FRESH AIR, AND I HAD TO CLEAN MY BEDROOM BEFORE I COULD GO TO SLEEP LAST NIGHT (CAN YOU SAY O.C.D.?!) BECAUSE OF THE LAYER OF DUST THAT HAD BLOWN IN!