Monday, March 16, 2009

Staying the Course

Another 1.8 lbs has left my neighborhood, bringing me to 24.1 lbs lost in 10 weeks.
*
I find I am happy but impatient! It seems like in the past the weight has come off much faster. I put it down to being younger in those days and having a healthier metabolism.
*
Then I took a look in my last Atkins Journal, the one from early 2003 when I really stuck with it and lost 63 lbs. Guess what? In the first 10 weeks I only lost . . . you guessed it, 24 lbs! So I guess I'm on track, after all!
*
I really miss the Atkins Journal. After Dr. Atkins (my hero) passed away, the company he left behind struggled and had to restructure. They discontinued most of their products for several years and have only recently begun reintroducing them.
*
Unfortunately, no new journals so far.
*
The great thing about the Atkins Journal was it held me accountable for everything I put into my mouth.
*
Plus I rewarded myself by listing any temptations I passed up, highlighting them in yellow so I could look back over the past week and think, "Wow, I don't even miss those foods now!"
*
It was a great visual record of my progress.
*
I've tried doing online journals and carrying around a small notebook. I've even tried to duplicate the Atkins Journal, but nothing else worked for me. Until now.
*
This blog has filled the empty space where my trusty journal used to be and helped me stay strong.
*
To those of you who encourage me along the way, thank you!
*
And now to confess to this week's temptations.
*
Jacob's culinary arts class catered a party for the City Council, and Jacob brought home all these plates of leftovers. They included almond cookies, roasted bagel bites with cream cheese, chicken egg rolls, and spinach rolls.
*
*
I admit to one small bite of each item, which I figure was the equivalent of one complete roll. (What can I say, I love trying new foods!)
*
However, I am mastering a new skill: taking one bite of something tasty and then walking away.
*
When the kids had spaghetti and garlic bread on Friday night, I took 2 bites of spaghetti and a tiny bite of bread, then ate my own little meal.
*
You know what? It turns out the food isn't as irresistible as it seems. It doesn't even taste as good as expected!
*
I may get this whole lifestyle change thing down yet!

1 comment:

LORI said...

I. SO. WANT. TO. BE. MOTIVATED. TO. START. AGAIN!
GOOD FOR YOU, 24 LBS IS ALMOST 5 5LB. FREE WEIGHTS! OR 2 MEDIUM-SIZED THANKSGIVING TURKEYS! OR PROBABLY ABOUT 200 CD'S! OR 24 PUMPKIN PIES! OH NO, WHAT HAVE I DONE?! SOMEONE STOP ME!