Friday, December 18, 2009

Most. Awesome. Movie. Ever.


Today I saw the most awesome fantasy/science fiction movie ever made.
*
I don't make that claim lightly. If you know me, you know how deeply I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Terminator films.
*
But Avatar blew them all out of the water. Oh. My. Gosh.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Avatar opened today. I'd hoped to see it eventually, but I ended up going today on a whim.
*
With today being a half-day as well as the last day of school before Christmas break, I was able to go home early. Sarah and her friend Emmi were heading to the theater to see New Moon again, so I tagged along and went by myself to see Avatar.
*
*
*
*
It was 2 hours and 42 minutes of pure delight. The time whizzed by and I hated for the film to end. I wanted to go live on the planet of Pandora with a clan of Na'vi.
*
I won't go into the plot. It was a well-written and beautifully executed story, but it would lose something in the retelling. It must be experienced on the big screen.
*
*
I am a huge fan of special effects, and the special effects for Avatar were spectacular. Yet they never distracted from the story or characters.
*
And the characters! They were carefully and lovingly developed into passionate beings you felt you knew and cared deeply about.
*
*
The movie was presented in 3D. I hate 3D. The glasses are annoying, the film is blurry, and the 3D action is always cheesy.
*
*
*
I still hated the glasses, but somehow the visuals were crisp and the 3D effects made it seem we were right in the middle of the action.
*
In one scene, embers fell from the sky. They were falling into my lap, and I swear I felt a few of them touch lightly on the back of my hand!
*
What lingers most in my mind is the imagery. The Na'vi were exotically beautiful beings who lived at one with nature on their incredible planet.
*
The planet itself was populated with a wealth of plant life and wildlife that boggles the imagination. I was amazed by the attention to detail.
*
Despite the dangerous creatures roaming this world's forests, the environment was always serene and beautiful.
Those who enjoy fantasy or sci-fi like I do will love this film.
*
As for me, I'm going to see it again and take my kids this time. Yes, it has a great message about appreciating and protecting our environment, but mostly it's just fun and exciting!

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

I'm passing this info on to Brock. This is the kind of movie he loves. How fun that even though you tagged along with Sarah and her friend, you chose the one you wanted to see and got to watch it all by yourself. I've never seen a movie by myself but the lady who cuts my hair prefers to see movies by herself. She says its her escape and she keeps recommending it.