Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Long and the Short of It


I know, I know.  You're probably thinking, "How many more eggs can I stand to look at!?"  I don't blame you, but I just had to share the latest anomalies in our crop of eggs.

The two center eggs, turquoise and tan, are the typical size of most of the eggs we collect.  As our hens mature, their eggs have become consistently larger, about the size of eggs sold in the store as "large."

We went about 3 days without any new brown eggs, until yesterday.  That's when Ed found that huge brown egg on the right.  I have honestly never seen such a big, long egg before!  The amazing length is even more obvious in the photos below. 


Then Ed found the tiny little olive-green egg today.  He almost missed seeing it in the straw.  It's about the size of a robin's egg, maybe only slightly bigger.  I had no idea it was even possible for a chicken to lay such a tiny egg!


Ed says he's going to cook the huge brown egg and the tiny green egg tomorrow morning.  He's curious to see if the big egg has a double-yolk.  (One of our regular-sized eggs last week did have a double yolk.)  He's even more curious to see if the teeny-tiny egg has a teeny-tiny little yolk inside.


I think putting the eggs into a typical egg carton really highlights the differences in their sizes.  The lid won't even close all the way when the giant brown egg is in the carton!

And that's the long and the short of it!

No comments: