Tuesday, February 14, 2012

...and How I Spent the Centennial

Arizona's big Centennial Celebration was held over the weekend in the Phoenix area.  Today, it was school as usual.  Or at least it started that way.  An unexpected snowstorm blew in a little after 6 a.m. (after the school buses were already on the road) and it got worse as the day wore on.

Finally, at 1:15 they announced that school was closing early and everyone should carefully drive home as soon as possible.  I packed up my stuff and headed out to the parking lot 2 hours earlier than usual.


As I was sweeping the heavy, wet snow off my car's windows, I heard a loud "ka-pow!" behind me.  I turned around to see that two trucks had collided on the highway that runs through town and past the school, not too far from where I stood.  I grabbed my camera and took the above shot while the two vehicles were still slowly sliding to a standstill on the icy road.  

Luckily, no one seemed to be hurt and the damage appeared to fall in the category of "fender-bender."  Because they were blocking one of the southbound lanes, it made a mess of traffic.  The police were just arriving as I drove away.  And, trust me, I drove very, very carefully all the way home.

No comments: