Monday, February 6, 2012

Out of the Box

This chalk drawing was done at Knotts Berry Farm in late 1973 or early 1974.
That's my former fiance Paul Gutierrez and me.  He was 22 and I was 19 at the time.
I heard he was killed in a car accident several years after we broke up.

You know how "they" say that you should throw out a box of stuff you haven't looked inside for 5 years or more?  I think that would be a big mistake.  Just look what I would have missed out on!

2 Apr 1977: This picture of my 22-year-old face was made from hundreds of little
typed letters, numbers, and symbols.  I got it during a Las Vegas trip with my best buddy, Peggi.

Back in September 2010, a few months after Ed and I got married, we had a big yard sale.  Besides selling a lot of duplicate furniture from our merged lives, we cleaned out the rafters of one of the sheds on our property and pulled down several boxes I hadn't seen in more than a decade.  What a blast from the past that was!

I made these two little pillows in 1970 or 1971. I had two little neighbor children
in Fresno, California--Murray Anne Border and Louis Apsey--draw pictures for me,
which I then embroidered onto the pillows.  Sure brings back memories!
Funny to think those two little kids are in their 40s now!


I found a lot of funky old clothes I used to wear in the 1980s.  Most of them I trashed, but I hung a few back in my closet because they had so many memories attached to them.  When I lose some weight and can fit in them again, I may model them and share them on my blog!

My old Seminary binder, circa 1968-1972.  The old worksheets inside
didn't trigger too many flashbacks, probably because in California
we had early morning Seminary (aka "Cemetery") at 6:30 a.m.
and I am NOT a morning person (aka "brain dead"). 
But it was fun seeing all the things I'd scribbled on the outside of the binder,
like "Carl + Mary" or "Mary loves Joe."  Oh, the memories--ouch!

So my recommendation is, go ahead, open that box and enjoy!

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

I had forgotten all about Paul! And that seminary binder....I don't think I used mine much because that doesn't even look familiar to me. But now you have me thinking...perhaps I should go open my box.