Monday, December 23, 2013

Southern-fried Heart Attack

23 Dec 2013: Shera spent more than 2 hours in the kitchen tonight!

This week we moved our Sunday dinner to Monday, due to work-related conflicts. We still weren't able to match Jacob's schedule, but the rest of the gang was here.


Shera, who was born in and lived her whole life in the small town of Poplar Bluff, Missouri, wanted to share some of her favorite southern-style cooking with us. She called it a southern-fried heart attack, due to all the grease, breading, and carbs. But, wow, it was good! 


This was my dinner plate, clockwise from the top: fried potatoes, breaded and fried pork chops with gravy, corn bread, and macaroni-and-tomatoes (which is apparently a popular southern dish). The only thing missing from my plate is the cornmeal-breaded fried okra. My mother often prepared okra (her parents were from Oklahoma), but I never cared for it.

Ryan and Shera at dinner

We all enjoyed the meal immensely. The pork chops--and there were a lot of them--disappeared, and so did the potatoes!

Chris, Dylan, and Sarah on the other side of the dinner table


DOOR TRIMMING

My son-in-law Chris and stepson Ryan trim the trim!

Almost 2 years ago, my husband Ed installed a new front door. It's a beautiful door with a little bit of frosted glass, which he painted blue. Somehow, though, the door never got trimmed.

Ryan was saying, "I did this!"

So today, Ed's son Ryan decided it was time to finish the door. We went to Lowe's and bought the trim, then stopped by my dad and step-mom's place to borrow a skill saw. While Shera was busy cooking up a storm in the kitchen, Ryan and Chris installed the trim around the door. By the time dinner was ready, the door was finished.


I briefly thought about painting the trim blue, too, but I decided it like it better white. It makes the blue of the door stand out beautifully. Now it finally looks like a real door. Great job, guys!

The finished product. I love it!

Next project: the trim between the kitchen flooring and the living room carpet!

No comments: