Sunday, January 11, 2009

Resolute!

My New Years resolution is the same as it usually is at this time: lose weight and get healthy!

I've done it before. I know what my body needs and what works for me. So why don't I just do it?
*
These pics are from 1998-99. I glued them in my Atkins journal to remind me why I needed to change. I started the Atkins program on 17 Feb 2000, urged by my doctor because my cholesterol level was up. Dr. Paxman checked out the science behind it and even tried it himself, with amazing results.
Talk about amazing! I lost 56 lbs. in 7 months and felt better than I had in more than a decade. I kept the weight off for 2 years before I began to cheat a little here and there, causing the cravings to return and some of the weight to creep back on.
*
I got back on track on 2 Jan 2003, re-losing what I'd regained plus 7 lbs. more, for a total loss of 63 lbs. I was so thrilled! I kept most of the weight off for 2 more years.
As you can tell by this year's pictures, I've regained it all plus 11.5 lbs more. The photo at left shows how I looked when I was just 2 lbs. away from my lowest weight (Aug 2003). Wow. What have I done?!
*
I confess, I'm a comfort-carb eater. When I'm stressed and overwhelmed, I want sweets and starches. Once I start, it's hard to stop.
*
During the period when I realized I had to end my marriage to save my family, during the emotionality of the divorce, during the past 2 years adjusting to single motherhood, I have comforted myself a lot!
*
Now I'm ready to put that behind me. I believe I deserve to treat my body better!
*
I'm putting this on my blog to keep myself accountable. And I'm asking all of you out there to help me with encouragement, support, and creativity.
*
Each weekend I will post any weight loss or gain, as well as list any temptations that made me cave in or temptations that I passed by successfully. Knowing I will be reporting it in my blog will--I hope--help me make better choices and stand strong.
*
This is not going to be a Diet Blog or Health Blog or anything like that. Just a weekly update of my progress found among my usual posts.
I intended to begin eating better last weekend, but unfortunately the nasty week-long stomach flu got in the way. On the other hand, I've already lost 4.5 lbs! It's amazing how much weight you can lose when you're afraid you'll throw up anything you eat!
*
Today was my official start date and I've done very well. I even passed up those last 2 pieces of leftover Christmas fudge this morning!
*
So wish me luck and stay tuned for The Incredible Shrinking Woman!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I will be right here rooting for you! I should be brave and post notes with my weekly information once I can get a hold of a working scale!

LORI said...

I'M WITH YOU, MARE! I AM STRIVING TO BE HALF THE WOMAN I AM TODAY! MAYBE NOT HALF, BUT SOMETIMES IT FEELS LIKE THAT! I NEED TO LOSE MY "ALL OR NOTHING" APPROACH TO DIET AND EXERCISE...IT DOES NOT SERVE ME WELL! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Anonymous said...

As you know, I struggle to "keep on the wagon" as far as avoiding sugar consumption myself, so I feel your pain. You know I'm pulling for you! :)

ashley b said...

Good luck! I am right there with you. After Bossy Pants I jumped back pretty quick. But Baby Boy is almost 7 months and I have only lost 10 pounds. Yikes. You will be my inspiration. :) And you look great in those pictures by the way. AND I love that shirt!