Saturday, January 31, 2009

Feeling Flat?

Did you ever have a day that turned out to be everything you didn't want it to be? Feeling a cold coming on, I planned to spend Saturday resting. Perhaps organizing my computer files, but nothing more strenuous than that.
*
After school yesterday we discovered my rear passenger tire going flat. Okay, slight change in plans. In the morning we'd air it up and go to Big O Tires for a patch. I'd have the rest of the day to relax.
Airing up a tire. Simple, except every air compressor we tried to borrow was broken or unavailable.
*
Our generous friend and neighbor A'Lece offered to drive Jacob and the tire to Big O, and helpful Garry from next-door came over to help Jacob take off the tire.
*
The verdict at Big O: beyond repair. I gasped when I read their estimate for a new tire.
Next plan: put on the spare doughnut and drive over to WalMart for a new tire. Jacob installed the spare, lowered the car, and you see the result in the top picture: flat as a pancake!
*
So I call AAA and about 45 minutes later our doughnut is aired up and seems to be holding. The AAA guy offers to follow us to WalMart, just in case.
By now it's after 3pm. Luckily we are among the last customers accepted for the day. They say it'll be done in a few hours. What?!
*
Jacob and I wander around for 2.5 hours. I could easily fill the time if the shopping weren't already done! We browse the books, jewelry, videos, clothes, car supplies... Plenty of time for mother and son bonding!
*
It was nearly 6pm when we got home with our shiny new tire. My body is unrested and my files are unorganized. Yet, looking back, I am warmed by the thought of good friends, neighbors, and business people who took care of us in our need. And, by my way of thinking, a few hours spent with one of my children is always time well-spent.
*
No, today didn't go at all as I'd planned, but it was a good day nonetheless.

3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

This reminds me of the saying, "Life is what happens when you are making other plans." Or "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" and that is what you did!

LORI said...

DID YOU AT ANY POINT SAY WHAT YOU HAD PLANNED OUT LOUD? BECAUSE IF YOU DID, I THINK MURPHY MADE HAVE HEARD YOU! GLAD IT TURNED OUT WELL IN THE END!

LORI said...

MAY HAVE HEARD...FINGERS ARE STICKY TONIGHT!