Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Anniversary




56 years ago today my parents, Myron and Jane Butler, were married.
*
They planned an October 2nd wedding, as you can see in the announcement at left. That would have been 3 days after Mom's 16th birthday and 4 weeks after Dad's 19th birthday, but they just couldn't wait that long.
*
They eloped to Reno, Nevada on August 18, 1953. They took their parents and one of Dad's sisters, Aunt LouDene, along with them.
*
There are some errors in the newspaper clippings. Dad's middle initial is T. not P. and Grandpa Haley's name is spelled Loyd, not Lloyd.
*
The date at the top of the left announcement is in Mom's own handwriting.
*
I love how they describe all the ladies' dresses. You don't see that anymore, unless you're attending the Oscars!
*
I only wish I had pictures of my parents on their wedding day. I've only seen one photo of my mom in her wedding dress. I hope my dad has it somewhere. I need to get all the old photos from him and scan in the ones I don't yet have.
*
I'm sure when they sent out these invitations they had no idea that Dad wouldn't be able to attend his own reception, due to his boss refusing to give him time off. What a Scrooge!
*
This is Mom 4 days before her 16th birthday. With her at the reception are her brand-new in-laws, my Dad's parents Lawrence Edward (Ed) Butler, age 61, and Myrtle Van Ausdal Butler, age 58.
*
On June 1, 1968, my parents were sealed in the Oakland, CA Temple for eternity. Here they are on the temple grounds. Dad was 33 and Mom was 30 by this time, and all 6 of their children had been born.
*
Mom only lived long enough to celebrate their 48th anniversary, but I hope today she was able to pause in her heavenly work and smile at the memories of that day 56 years ago. I know she always cherished it in this life.
*
Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad!

4 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Loved this!! So your dad's parents where that old when he was only 19?? Or did I somehow misunderstand that?

My mom also went to Roosevelt High!

Mary said...

Jill, your math is correct. My dad is the youngest of 11 children and his oldest sister, Twila, was already 20 years old when my dad was born. His mom was 39 when he was born.

It will be even worse for Dylan. Since I was almost 43 when he was born, I'll be 61-going-on-62 when he's 19! And Karla was 46 when her youngest, Addison, was born!

ashley b said...

i've never seen those paper clippings. i love when you do posts like these! :)

LORI said...

GLAD YOU SCANNED IN THE NEWSPAPER ANNOUNCEMENT AND THE PICTURES SO WE COULD HAVE A COPY TOO! THANKS! GO LOOK AT YOUR FACE BOOK PAGE, I SENT YOU A NOTE...