Friday, August 14, 2009

Raining Ducks and Geese

I knew first thing this morning that it was going to rain today, big time.
*
No matter how much I worked with my bangs, they curled every which way. That kind of humidity can only mean a major downpour.
*
I don't mean raining cats and dogs. I mean raining ducks and geese!
*
It was about noon today when the heavens opened.
Rain ran off the schools' roofs in thick sheets like wild waterfalls. Heavy, rushing streams nearly a foot deep raced across the parking lots.
*
Naturally, I had to be out in it to attend meetings in other buildings.
*
Teachers huddled against walls. Students screamed with laughter and gleefully stomped through every stream.
It reminded me of another downpour 4 years ago, August 2005.
*
The first 3 photos were taken on New Year's Day 2007 at a pond a few blocks from our house. My sons often go fishing there.
*
On that occasion, my kids walked there with their visiting cousins to feed the ducks. The pond hadn't frozen over yet.
It was a completely different picture in August 2005. As the kids and I drove home from school that day, the rain was so heavy we could barely see the front end of the car.
*
This was the sight that greeted our eyes when we turned into our neighborhood. The pond, at left, was spilling across the road and into a neighbor's front yard. Fallen pine trees floated across our path.

In this shot you can see how the creek now extended into the yards of homes across the way.
*
Up the road, my friend Wyndie's family had to sandbag their kitchen.
*
Ducks and geese from the pond swam serenely across the road and frolicked about in peoples' yards.
*
We had to take an alternate route home.
While I snapped pictures, some of the geese waddled over to our car and honkily scolded us for interrupting their play.
*
I love storms, so I found all this exhilarating.
*
And that's why, when I'm caught in a rainstorm, I now think to myself:
*
"It's raining ducks and geese!"

2 comments:

LORI said...

WE HAD A VERSION OF THAT DOWN HERE IN THE VALLEY THE OTHER DAY. I LIKE TO CALL IT: IT RAINED FOR 20 MINUTES! ACTUALLY, WE DID HAVE A DAY OR SO OF RAIN, WHICH WAS LOVELY, BUT NOW WE ARE LEFT WITH BLINDING HUMIDITY; THE KIND MIGRAINES ARE MADE OF. UGH. I LOVE YOUR PICTURES OF ALL THE FINE, FEATHERED ONES FLOATING MERRILY ALONG!

Grandma Honey said...

I've heard Arizona has rainstorms we couldn't even relate to. I guess this post proves it!