Thursday, August 27, 2009

Photo Booth Fun

*
A few weeks ago while I was looking through some envelopes of old pictures, these tiny little photos fell out. They brought back a rush of memories from 35 years ago.
*
I used to love those little photo booths where you and your friends could be captured on film in your zaniest moods. I still see these booths around, but now they seem more high tech and less fun.
*
I thought it would be fun to share these priceless little relics of past fun with friends and family.



These were taken at the Fresno County Fair on Oct. 1, 1974. I had moved to Southern California 2 years earlier, but traveled to Fresno to spend time with my best gal pal Peggi.
*
This was during the heyday of our best-friendship. The top picture is one of my favorites. Those smiles call back to mind the great times and all the experiences we shared as single girls.
*
I was 20 at that time and Peggi was still 19. Life was so much simpler then, wasn't it? We just didn't know it yet!


Now we're going WAY back in time. This is the earliest of my photo booth photos, taken at the Fresno County Fair in the Fall of 1970, when I was 16 and my little sister Karla was only 10!




One year later, October 1971. Again, we are at the Fresno County Fair. I was 17 and Karla was 11. On the right is our second-cousin Cheryl, who was also 11 at the time.



Fast-forward to Sept. 6, 1972. I had just turned 18 five days earlier, and Karla was 12.
*
Our family had moved to Southern California a few months before, and we decided to make a family trip to one of the local theme parks, Six Flags Magic Mountain.


These next 2 pictures were taken at a K-Mart in Anaheim on Aug. 7, 1974. Our cousin Cindy had come to stay with us for awhile, so we got her in on the fun.
*
The photo below is probably the only one I ever did solo. It's much more fun with friends. If I remember right, I think we were all quickly jumping in and out of the booth to get different combinations during the 4-shot session.
*
Since there were always at least 2 of us in these "photo shoots," we would split up the little string of pictures, which is of course why I don't have all of them in my possession.
*
These were taken when I was still 19, but my 20th birthday was just 25 days away. Cindy was 14 years old, the same age as Karla.




And, last but not least, another trip to Magic Mountain, on Sept. 9, 1974. Almost exactly 35 years ago now!
*
Here we have myself, just turned 20 and thinking I was already an old maid, and little sis Karla, who was now 14.
*
I just love these little trips down Memory Lane. Don't you?








3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Oh brought back memories to me too! I know you were in someway related to Cheryl but didn't know how. She was one of my Beehives when I was 19 and she was 12! And seeing you and Peggi...how fun is that!! Do you remember when you and Peggi came to see me when Bill and I were living in that apt in west Fresno for that short time? I think Brock was a baby and I was pregnant with Logan. Like people say, where does the time go....but really, WHERE DOES THE TIME GO??! I don't remember growing older, do you?

Mary said...

Cheryl's dad and my dad are 1st cousins. I do remember that visit to see you way back when Brock was a baby. When I say 35 years ago, it just doesn't seem real. It sure doesn't seem like we're that much older!

Unknown said...

Nothing like seeing yourself when you blog opens up! I wish I knew where my pictures were?