Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Souvenir Stampede

Check out the cover of this month's Destinations magazine, which is published by our vacation club, WorldMark.
*
When it arrived last week, the kids and I got a big kick out of this photo from Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede in Branson.
*
We returned from our Missouri vacation just 2 weeks ago, and we miss those carefree days already. Thank goodness we have hundreds of pictures to enjoy in years to come, remembering our good times together.
*
We also have some cool souvenirs to remember this vacation by.
*
Of course we each received a souvenir boot-shaped mug at the Dixie Stampede.
*
The challenge was finding cupboard space for these 4 mugs after we got home, since they don't stack! But they'll be great for Family Home Evening treats like root beer floats and homemade blizzards.
*
Jacob was very picky about choosing a souvenir. Sarah and Dylan chose these carvings (see below) of their names at Silver Dollar City, but Jacob didn't like how his name looked.
*
We searched every kiosk and shop, but nothing caught his fancy.
Sarah bought the starfish bracelet from a by-the-inch gold display in Silver Dollar City's waterside area.
*
While at Darryl and Tamera's, Tamera showed Jacob and Dylan a box full of shark's teeth and jewelry, and she gave them these two shark's teeth necklaces.
*
They're extra-special since Tamera's sister in Florida collected the teeth and made the necklaces herself!
*
This wind chime was my souvenir from Silver Dollar City, also from a kiosk in the waterside district. I just love the blue dolphins and glittering, etched-metal cylinders.
*
I guess it's odd that Sarah and I chose souvenirs with seaside themes during a vacation in Missouri, so far from the ocean. Yet when we think back, my kids agree that the water rides in that area of the park were the best memories of our time there.
*
I hung these chimes in my bedroom for 2 weeks so I could enjoy them up close for awhile. When I'd turn on the ceiling fan, they would tinkle quietly while I slept.
Then this weekend they joined the rest of my wind chime collection along the eaves of the front porch.
*
We have lots of breezy and windy days here on the mountain, and I adore the random music of wind chimes. The big pipes on the left have a wonderfully rich, deep sound to compliment the variety of tinkling smaller chimes.
*
Dylan had his hand cast in wax at Silver Dollar City just as we were leaving on the last day. He chose the colors, and I think it came out so cool!
*
I was so nervous about getting it all the way home without crushing, cracking, or melting it in the car. We wrapped it and cushioned it inside a tupperware and put it inside a box, which we hauled inside every hotel room and checked each night.
*
We got it home safely, and it is now displayed proudly on top of the cabinet in his bedroom (see below), beside his name carving.
*
*
*
*
As it turned out, the shark tooth necklace was the only souvenir Jacob brought home from the trip.
*
They are both still hanging on the doors of this cabinet in the boys' room.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Two unexpected souvenirs we brought home with us were the garter and bouquet which Dylan and I won at Tanya's wedding reception!
*
Dylan is very proud of his prize, as you can see in this picture. He keeps it on the post of his bunk bed, right next to his pillow!
*
I gave the bouquet a place of honor on a dresser in my room.
*
Tanya's mom, Tamera, had to go all the way to Florida to find the tiny blue silk flowers Tanya wanted, and Tanya made the bouquet with her own two hands. That makes it an even more special memento to me.

*
*
*
*

My favorite souvenirs have always been the ones that feature my family, so to me the best of the best are those found below.

Here are my 3 treasures--of course they are WANTED, by ME! Dylan is 12, Jacob is 18, and Sarah is 19.
*
A photographer at Dixie Stampede shot these 2 pictures of our family, then sold them to me separately for a pretty price. But how could I refuse?
And my most FAVORITE of all, taken at Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum...

Don't you love it? Sarah looks so sexy, Jacob looks so dashing with a beard, and Dylan looks totally like his Uncle LeRoy (if LeRoy shaved his head)! As for me, I just look old and bloated; talk about art imitating life!

Ahhhh, those were good times!

3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I enjoyed more recaps of your trip....I do sort of feel like I went with you all, you know.
I share your love of chimes. To me, they represent the bad air leaving the valley. I never thought of putting them inside though...hmmm.

LORI said...

LOVE THE STARWARS PICTURE!

L3TitBL33D said...

Hey Mary the best part of the story of the shark teeth you left out, Andrea's husband Cary Duane was a shark hunter in Florida and actually pulled the teeth, the Andrea made them into necklaces. Luv Ya